Part the Thirty-First

"Magdelline," Nicolas breathed out, before standing up to properly bow. I curtsied as my heart beat faster.

"I just received your letter," I said, as I wrapped the shawl tighter around me. "What was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"I first would like to apologize," Nicolas said, putting his hands behind his back. "I must have made it seem like I was mad or something and if it came across that way, I am sorry." I stayed silent, waiting for him to finish.

"I gathered that what you said about the person you schemed to marry was too embarrassing to tell  me, and how you had lied about the invitation to see me, that it was a possibility it could be— well, it could be me."

"Nicolas, I'm sorry," I shook my head. "I did not want you to find out for I had tried to move on from my schemes."

"Why did you scheme, Magdelline?" Nicolas asked softly, taking a step closer. "You need not scheme with me."

"Because I cared for you," I choked out. "And I saw everyone else pining after you because of your position and wealth but not for you. I knew I cared for you more than they ever would. I just knew you didn't feel the same for me— so I came up with a plan."

Nicolas turned away for a moment. I took a step back, scared that I turned him away by me telling the truth. Have I ruined our friendship, too? After all of this I had given up hope of him loving me back, but now the hope of friendship was becoming crushed as well. 

"You didn't need to scheme or plan with me, Delly," he whispered beneath his breath. I could hardly hear it. "I don't know how else to say this, but I love you, Magdelline." Nicolas turned back around to face me. My heart stopped for a moment as he took a step closer. "I have always loved you."

"Always?" I asked breath hitched. I had not even guessed. I was so blinded by my own emotions, I seemed to have missed his.

"Why else do you think I let you push me from the tree branch?" Nicolas said, placing a hand on the branch that we had been playing on the day I pushed him off. 

"You didn't let me and you know it, Mr. Burns," I reply with a chuckle. I refused to believe that the one time I outwitted Nicolas was when he let me. 

"Maybe so," he laughed before pausing to return to his seriousness. "But I was scared for a moment. I returned from my business life in hopes of finding you like you were. Which was foolish of me. We all change. But when I heard you lie and saw your pokes, I was scared. But then you changed again. God worked in you and God also worked in me. I now feel that I am ready to ask for your hand in marriage."

"You want to marry me?" I asked as it settled in. "After all that I've done?"

"You showed humility and grace after I kept hurting you, Magdelline," he replied, stepping closer. "You might have done wrong— we all have— but you showed true maturity that made me have to rethink some of my motives and such."

"I can still hardly believe it," I said shaking my head. He stood in front of me, grabbing my hands gently in his.

"Well, know this," he said softly. "I love you with all myself and can no longer deny it. Please marry me, Magdelline Forsythe. Please say, yes."

"I will marry you," I said, tears welling in my eyes. "I love you with all myself also."

Nicolas leaned in, planting a kiss on my lips. His hands soon found their way to cup my face and all I could smell was cedar. He smelled of cedar. Butterflies filled my stomach as he pulled away.

"Let us make it official with your father," Nicolas said, offering his arm to escort me to Fernsbury. I gratefully took it with a blush. I couldn't believe it. I was getting married to Mr. Nicolas Burns, and I could never have been happier.