Part the Thirteenth

This is late. I apologize. Busy week, but enjoy!!

The Graham's ball was very elegant in decor and very pompous in air. Lord Charles Graham was looking as arrogant as usual as he descended the steps to his very own ball. His sister, Amelia, also descended but she had an air of shyness about her as she immediately found her way to a back corner near where some younger children were. As I talked with some guests around the room, my eyes always drew back to where Amelia was and it seemed no one was trying to converse with her. My heart pitied her as I excused myself from the present conversation with Miss Davidson before finding my way to Amelia.

"Hello, Amelia," I said, curtsying as Amelia looked up from the kid who seemed to be trying to knock her over.

"Hello, Magdelline," she nodded gesturing to the love seat in the corner. "Would you like to sit?"

"Thank you, I would enjoy that," I said, sitting down, my glass of punch in one hand. She soon sat down beside me giving me a soft smile.

"I haven't seen you since last Christmas," Amelia said, fanning herself. "How have you fared?"

"Surely, not!" I said, turning to her. "Has it not been a year?"

"It indeed has," Amelia replied. "But really, how are you? I should have been better to ask after you since your dear mother's passing."

I gave her a small smile to cover the pain that coursed through me at the mention of Mother. Why did people have to often remind me of her death? Of course, I am not faring as well as I would like.

"I am well enough, dear Amelia."

"Delly, there you are!" Audra's voice said from behind me. I turned to see her near us. "Amelia, it's good to see your face! How have you been?"

"I've been having less feverish spells than last year," Amelia said. "I am hoping for a constant recovery."

"That is good news, Amelia," I said with a smile. "Will you be well enough to dance this evening?"

"As you can see, I can manage children well," Amelia stated before looking down. "But it seems the children and you two have been the only ones who have taken an interest in me."

"I must get Nicolas to dance with you," Audra determined. "He is such a gentlemanly partner and he would never turn down such a charming girl as yourself."

I looked over at Amelia thinking over that she was definitely not charming. A girl with sweet demeanors, yes, but charming? No, she indeed was not. She had no ounce of boldness and often resorted to corners. Even if she had an ounce of charm, she did not try to show it.

Audra then left, returning with her brother shortly after she departed. I smiled, curtsying to

Nicolas. He looked rather dashing today in his burgundy waistcoat with gold embroidery. His auburn hair was all fluffed at the top of his head and his eyes seemed very bright. I also noticed he seemed to have gained some freckling since he has moved back to the country, which I thought looked becoming on him.

"I hear that Miss Graham is without a dance partner," Nicolas said, bowing to Amelia.

"Mr. Burns, you do not have to dance with me if you do not wish it."

"Nonsense," Nicolas said, giving her a small smile before offering her his hand. "I would quite enjoy being in your company since it has been quite some time since we have last seen one another."

Amelia took his hand before Nicolas whisked her off to the dance floor. I watched, clenching my jaw as I wished to be in Amelia's place. Nicolas barely nodded my way which made me feel a bit slighted. I huffed as I realized I was feeling jealous. There was no need to feel jealous. I had much more of a chance with Nicolas than Miss Amelia Graham. Though as I watched them dance, a twinge of doubt echoed throughout my being as I saw how much happier Amelia seemed as they graced the floor. I wasn't the best dancer, nor the most accomplished lady, but I felt my charm carried me ahead of the game. Yet here was shy, sickly Amelia gracefully dancing alongside Mr. Burns without charm, but her face was indeed brightened by the exercise and the company.