Part the Twenty-Second

Over the next few days, I helped the children pack things, also helping with calming them down for their excitement seemed to escalate over time. Marjorie was a bit reluctant to part with them, but John was good at helping calm the children and ease them from separation from their mother. I couldn't deny that I was excited to bring the children to Fernsbury, but I was also not looking forward to seeing Audra. At least I'd get out of London and be able to avoid Nicolas. I felt deep down that if anyone were to accept my apology quickly, it would be Audra, but I knew it would take more convincing for Nicolas. It seemed that either I was convincing Nicolas to marry me or convincing him I was sorry. I just wished I could stop convincing him and just be at peace with it all.

The ride to Fernsbury was not quiet at all. The children were anxious but in a good way, fidgeting and wriggling around. I think only Anne was sitting still beside me, for even Little John was wriggling in his seat, gazing out of the window. Daniel was sitting beside Little John peering out the other side. He seemed taken by the birds that flew and the sheep we would pass on the road. Lucy Hannah kept basically sitting in my lap, though she was supposed to sit on my other side. Her excitement at the ride made her stand up to see things so she would also crawl onto me to get a better height to see things. I had to set her down and mildly scold her that she must not act like that because it was not ladylike.

"This town is quite nice," Anne remarked as we finally pulled through Taunton. It was a lot smaller than London but was quaint and very peaceful. At least compared to London.

"Yes, I love it very much," I replied, looking out over the town I knew and loved dearly. It felt good to be back, but I ached at the thought of any of the Burns spotting me, so I leaned back away from the window to let my nieces and nephews have a chance to see my hometown.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we pulled up to the drive of Fernsbury Manor. I was never so happy to see my beloved estate. Well, it was not mine, since Marjorie would be inheriting it, but I was so glad to be home. The footmen, James and Clifford, greeted us and I was so happy to see familiar faces.

"Hello, James, Clifford," I greeted them, a warm smile on my face. "It's so good to see you." They both looked at each other for a moment, probably from my warm greeting which was unlike my usual.

"Miss Forsythe," they both said with a small bow before helping us out of the carriage.

"Delly!" I heard Papa's voice from the top of the steps. I turned to smile at him before starting to walk towards him. The children beat me to it though, since they ran quite fast.

"Hello, dear children," Papa laughed as they engulfed him with a hug. "How are you all— Little John, is that you? Your hair is truly longer than last year! And Anne Marjorie—you have blossomed so much. Danny boy, you have grown so much taller—and little Lucy Hannah! When did they all get so big, Delly?"

"Oh, Papa, they grow so fast," I stated as I hugged him. "I missed you, Papa."

"I missed you, too," he whispered into my ear before leading us inside with Reddington waiting for us.

"Hello, Reddington," I greeted the butler happily as I started unbuttoning my Spencer jacket. "It is so good to see you."

"And you, Miss Forsythe," he said with a nod before taking the role of juggling all five coats, mittens, and hats onto the coat rack.

--

Later, we settled down for supper to eat a three-course meal, potato soup, duck, and asparagus, and then we were to have lemon bars. The children got full pretty quickly, but that did not stop them from making noise. I did not remember the last time there was so much talking at the dinner table unless it was a party. We later found ourselves in a deep discussion about whether the snow was better than rain which to my amusement got pretty heated.

"Snow is prettier," Lucy Hannah said, smartly, setting her fork down.

"Rain is pretty as well," Anne commented, taking another bite of duck. "Right, Little John?"

"Uh," Little John's eyes widened at being pulled into the debate. "Sure..."

"Danny, help me,"  Lucy Hannah said, getting red in the face and flustered. I looked at the silent boy who had an asparagus half out of his mouth. He chewed quietly before swallowing.

"Snow is better, I think," he stated nonchalantly before continuing to eat his vegetables. All I could do was stare at him for I had not heard him say more than a word or two at a time—the words only ever being "please", "thank you", and "welcome".

"See?" Lucy Hannah sassed, looking at Anne. "Danny even thinks so and says so."

Anne and Little John were also looking at Daniel with wide eyes. Apparently, Daniel had not even talked to them with as many words and diversity in subjects. I was glad to see with my own eyes—or hear with my own ears—that Daniel was talking more. I knew how worried Marjorie was for him. He was six and didn't talk too often—barely any at all. But this was quite an improvement which I hope stayed with him when he returned home.

 But this was quite an improvement which I hope stayed with him when he returned home