Part the Seventh

I straightened my gloves, before readying my airs of distinction as I waited at the door of the Elmswood Estate. Today, I felt rather confident about my plan. I would waltz in, expecting a dinner party, only to discover that my invitation was blotted so I didn't have the correct date. It was flawless thinking on my part, I must say. To add to my charm, I donned a cameo brooch, gifted to me by Audra, on the collar of my burgundy riding coat. Mr. Burns had always said he admired the brooch so I had to take whatever steps I could to settle my soon-to-be engagement to him. But it was hard to get engaged to somebody who was not aware of the arrangements I was making. My charm and my appearance would just have to do to convince Mr. Nicolas Burns.

I rapped the door, waiting on the steps of the grandiose manse. The door was soon opened by Kraft, the butler of Elmswood. I greeted him with a few words and a smile before he led me past the austere walls of the foyer. There was a portrait of Mr. Burns (not the senior, but Nicolas) on the left of us as we walked underneath the balcony of the second floor to head to the parlor. The portrait did resemble the heir of Elmswood, yet it didn't capture the life his eyes brought to his features. But I knew no art could capture Mr. Burns as such as he was in reality.

As we entered the parlor, I first saw, Audra. She was sitting at her mother's side, embroidering. I looked over at Mrs. Burns trying to recall the last time I had seen her. It had to be at least a month or two, but the matron of the house looked to be as spry as ever. Calm, for the most part, Mrs. Burns did have her sprouts of energy every once in a while. But it was good to see her after so long. Hopefully, I would be able to see her as a mother-in-law shortly after.Sitting in the room as well, was Mr. Burns the senior looking stern and studious as always and—as I rightly predicted—Mr. Nicolas Burns. As Kraft announced my name, the four in the room stood up, turning to face me in almost perfect unison. A small smile grew on my lips at the perfect entrance I had just made.

"Miss Forsythe," Mr. Joseph Burns furrowed his thick brows together, "we were not expecting you this evening."

"Truly, were you not?" I feigned shock. "I received an invitation to a dinner party from Miss Burns yesterday." I pulled the invitation out of my reticule. Mr. Burns and his mother turned towards Audra who reddened under their gazes. She visibly shrunk as she helplessly glanced back and forth from her family to me.

"I—I wrote it for the fifth," Audra said, pulling on her fingers under their scrutiny. I opened the letter to reveal that the writing had been smudged with water right on where the date was supposed to be.

"You can't be serious!" I exclaimed, glancing over the letter. "I thought for sure it said fourth. Ah, I left my window open and it rained onto my desk before I could read it...I only saw a word that started with 'f' and ended with 'th'. I thought it said 'fourth'. Oh, now I feel wretched! I shall be leaving—"

"Oh, I shall not let you waste a trip, my dear Miss Forsythe," Mrs. Burns said, shaking her head as she gestured for me to join them.

"No, I must not intrude—" I gestured to Nicolas, "Tis but a two-mile ride back to Fernsbury. It would be no trouble at all."

"Since you are already here, please stay, would you?" Audra asked of me. "I need help to set up for tomorrow, for I have last-minute decisions to make and I want your fashionable eye. Mother, Father, could she stay for supper?"

"I do not think it would matter too much if Miss Forsythe is alright with it—and Mr. Burns?" Mrs. Burns turned to her husband. Mr. Joseph Burns nodded, turning his attention back to his paper.

"That would be fine with me as long as it truly is not intruding—" I paused to shake my head for effect. "I can't believe I read that wrong—I must have been too excited!"