Part the Sixth

I had decided to wear my plain white gown with the lace frills on the neck, sleeves, and hem of the skirt. I also wore a mustard Spencer jacket and maroon bonnet. Walking in town was often cold and crowded. But I knew the bright colors I chose would make me stand out. Especially since I know that Mr. Nicolas Burns had previously commented on liking me wearing mustard. Though it was four years ago, so I wouldn't doubt his opinion would change. I would just have to trust that he would still like it.

So far, I had not spotted them yet. Maybe Audra, though it would be unlike her, had changed to the next Thursday to shop—or maybe she did it last week—so that she would not miss her brother's visit. But I could only hope and pray—maybe not pray. I doubt God would want me to be praying to meet someone, right? But I would just have to hope I would see him. And as if on time, I spotted his auburn hair above the crowd across the street—he was tall, you know. And it looked as if Audra was with him. Nicolas also wore his top hat—yet this time it was black instead of brown. I must say I prefer his velvet brown hat instead of the silken black one. But this is only my own opinion—I wouldn't be able to say that—at least not until I was Mrs. Nicolas Burns. It was only a matter of time.

I quickly crossed the road, making sure to dodge or avoid carriages and horses. I had successfully crossed in front of them—a few hundred feet—to look at the dress in the dress store. I tried to actually focus on the dress, wondering in my mind if they had spotted me. There was a pretty red and white and green striped dress which I found to be beautiful.

"Magdelline!" Audra's small voice carried above the crowd. Surprised at the volume of her voice, I turned with a beaming smile in their direction.

"Audra—what a surprise!" I said, internally cringing at the lie. It was not a surprise to see them. Unless I had meant that I was surprised that she was able to project her voice so well. Yes, that was it. That was the surprise so I did not indeed lie. My gut settling a bit I embraced the young woman, before curtsying to Nicolas who bowed, taking his top hat off.

I looked at Audra who looking positively bright in her navy pelisse coat. Her bonnet framed her face making it seem more round than it was. Yet, it was originally round but it was Audra. She was a sweet little thing. Modest in dress and character, Audra was Audra. And that was a stability in my life that I could not forego. Life without Audra was like life without the sun. Though timid, the radiance of her innocence was refreshing in a world of arrogance and elegance.

"Are you looking for a gown?" Audra asked, turning to see where I was looking.

"For your party, yes," I said with a smile.

"Not really a party," she said, looking at the gowns in the window with admiration. "It's more of a few family friends eating together. Nothing too exciting."

"You will be there and that is all that matters," I said with a smile. "Shall we go in—unless, of course, you are not looking for a dress?"

"I had come to town just for that as I do every month,"

"Ah, yes, your monthly trips to get a new gown," I laughed. "And isn't it your tradition to give an old one to some dear family in need?"

"No need to say, Delly," Audra said her face flushing brightly. "I'd rather not the world know."

"Why wouldn't you want the world to know of your generosity?" I asked as Nicolas went ahead of us to open the door for us. We entered the store as Audra sighed.

"The Bible says not to let your right hand know what your left hand is doing—or was it left from right?"

"Dear, Audra, I do not think the exact wording matters when you understand the meaning of it," Nicolas chuckled. "Besides, you are the last person who I would think would brag about all you have done. You are too humble and gentle for that."