Part the Eighth

The carriage pulled up to the Elmswood Estate and one of the workers opened the door for me, helping me out of the carriage. Papa decided to stay home, not feeling up for a dinner party, but that was alright. Most of the guests would be people he didn't know anyway. As I walked up to the manor, I looked around at the other young men and women that Audra invited. Audra kept the dinner party small, but there were some faces that I didn't know there.

As I walked through the door, my coat was taken by Kent, the butler, and I was soon escorted to the dining room. Entering the dining room, the room looked magnificent. Audra had done a good job with the placements of tables. There were two main tables, but two small tables were hastily put together it seemed for guests who did not reserve themselves a seat. Which was always a struggle for the hostess, bringing worry to the fact there might not be enough food. But a good hostess always comes prepared with extra food made, and I had dropped the tip to Audra the night before, so thankfully, Audra was prepared for the inconsiderate guests who showed up without saying they would for sure.

It looked like the reception of the atmosphere was good amongst the guests from the body language shown. They were smiling, looking around at the decorations, and the music was chosen by Audra to be played set a mood of comfortability and relaxation. But as beautiful as the decor was, I still felt sad that Nicolas would not be present. He was probably wherever his destination was by now.

"I'm sorry you missed, Nicolas," a voice said from behind me. I turned to smile at Audra. I shook my head.

"He must do what he has to," I shrugged, trying not to seem too dismayed by his absence. "But I did not come to the party to see him. I came to see my dear friend and support her on her first night as hostess."

"Yes, but he had just left not thirty minutes ago," she said with a sigh. I turned to her, furrowing my brows.

"I thought he was leaving this morning," I said. "My Papa had told me that Mr. Burns was leaving for business in the morning."

"Oh, no!" Audra laughed. "My father, Mr. Burns, left this morning for business, but Nicolas is staying for a while—at least I hope if he is not called away by Father or other business duties. But do not fret, for Nicolas is just running an errand for me in town. He should be back before the night is up." My jaw dropped slightly before I closed it to purse my lips.

"Well, that will teach me not to believe words my Papa hears from others." How embarrassing that was! I should make it known to myself to not heed gossip as truth for I feel as if I made quite a fool of myself.

"That should be made a golden rule, I'm afraid," Audra said with a laugh. "Now, let us sit down. I hope you won't mind sitting by me."

"Of course I do not mind," I laughed, linking arms with her. "You are my closest friend, and it would do me a great honor if the magnificent hostess would let me sit by her side."

The evening ran smoothly which was good for Audra, for I knew she needed it to go well. I knew she was struggling with being a good hostess on her own. I felt she wanted to prove herself to her family that she was indeed matured. Even though she was one of the most mature women I knew. She didn't fret too much about men, but still had good standards and plans in place for when matrimony did come into the picture. She carried herself well, though a bit fearfully at times. But I just knew that she was a good young woman and I was blessed to have her in my life.

I was sitting on one of the couches in the corner of the room whenever I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I turned my head to see Nicolas. I quickly was about to stand up to curtsy, but he waved for me to remain seated, before sitting at the couch in front of me.