Part the Tenth

The following Sunday at church, we waited for a glance at the new clergyman to see what he would be like. The mysterious Mr. Preston Brunswick had made no public appearances prior to the Sunday and had yet to show his face even in his own parish. I knew everyone in the congregation was eagerly awaiting a glimpse of the new clergyman to see if their entailment of who he was or what he looked like was true. I was eager to see if he would be anything like my guess or prediction, but I found I was astonishingly surprised to find that he indeed was not a grouchy old man. Indeed, the man to take his place at the podium was a very handsome young man.

He had dark curls on his head, swept to one side, and a calm expression on his plain but handsome face. If I hadn't been so set on marrying Mr. Burns, my head would've been turned by this clergyman—besides the fact of me knowing nothing about him and his lower class and smaller wage. I turned to Audra who was sitting beside me with a grin.

"Aren't you glad he looks nothing like how I foretold?" I whispered with a chuckle. Audra's face turned red as she gave me a stern look.

"I don't care what he looks like as long as he gives a sound teaching," was Audra's reply. I laughed quietly before watching as the young clergyman introduced himself in a deep, rich voice. He had a Scottish lilt to it, but not too much that he was not understandable.

"At least he has a pleasing voice and handsome face," I teased her, before she hushed me, not giving me a glance. I held in my laughter before turning back to face Mr. Brunswick as he started his sermon.

The sermon was interesting, to say the least. It was nothing like the boring old sermons we got from the previous clergyman. He, in fact, was very passionate about his work, yet held a calm front about it. Mr. Brunswick's sermon was about the Gospel of Jesus Christ which seemed like a good place to start as a new reverend. I mean, Jesus Christ was indeed in the name of our religion's title.

But Mr. Brunswick seemed to say every word with a conviction of truth which kept me on the edge of my seat and also, he said it in an easily understandable way. He refrained from large words unlike the previous leader of the parish. I must say that even if Mr. Brunswick was an old rickety man, I still would have enjoyed his sermons. Well, a first sermon does leave a good impression, but consistency would be another thing.

After the service, Papa, Audra, and her family all walked out of the building together. We said our greetings to Mr. Brunswick when he was greeting everyone at the door. Introductions were made, and Nicolas commented on how he enjoyed the biblical references and the historical insight that Mr. Brunswick had made.

"It was my pleasure," Mr. Brunswick said, shaking Nicolas's hand. "I rather enjoy making all the correlations. It adds such a depth to the sermon, I like to think—but I feel that since I am the writer of the sermon, my say doesn't mean a lot."

"I concur that it was fascinating," Papa said, nodding to the parishioner.

"Yes, I indeed liked how you incorporated the good news into the sermon," Audra pitched in. "I often am disappointed when pastors do not even mention the whole event and person behind their religion."

"I have the same opinion, Miss Burns," Mr. Brunswick nodded. "I have found that sticking to the foundations of the Bible proves the most successful in teaching things right. At least I hope so."

"I know you've had three validations—probably more from other groups—but I must say that I enjoyed it rather well, so good work on it," I added, giving the man a smile.

"All to the glory of the Father," he said, bidding us a good day as we walked off.

"Seems like a good man," Papa said, offering me his arm in which I took gratefully.

"Indeed," Mrs. Burns said. "So respectful and kind."

"He seems well-versed in scripture and that is always an admirable trait in clergymen," Nicolas said with a laugh.

"Why—if it isn't the young Mr. Burns!" a voice said behind us. We turned to see Lady Graham, an heiress who resided in Taunton.

"Hello, madame," Nicolas said, lifting his hat before bowing along with Papa. I curtsied along with Audra and her mother before curtsying to Sir Graham who appeared from behind his wife. I couldn't find their son and daughter amongst the crowd, but I didn't mind too much. I felt the son, Charles Graham was very flirtatious, and I didn't welcome his presence. His sister, Amelia, was kind enough though a bit shy. She rarely talked so I didn't know much about her.

"I had no idea you were in town, Mr. Burns," Sir Graham said, linking arms with his wife. "If we had, we would've added you to the invitation."

"What invitation, if I may ask," Mrs. Burns asked, seeming to perk up at the word.

"We are hosting a ball for our dear daughter," Lady Graham replied, looking up at her husband. "It's in a fortnight and we just sent the invitations out yesterday morning."

"You must know that you are cordially invited as well," Sir Graham said, looking at Nicolas intently. "We do hope you can come."

"Of course I shall if my sister and parents shall be attending," Nicolas replied with a respectful nod of his head.

"That is good to hear!" Lady Graham said. "Now, we must be going. My dear, Amelia, has gotten a cold, and has had to miss service."

"How is your son, Charles?" Nicolas asked, inquiring after their son.

"Ah, currently in Italy," the Lady replied. "He should be coming home very soon, though. If God wills."

"I'm just enjoying some peace and quiet," Sir Graham added with a sigh. "Come on, Lady Graham. Let us return to our daughter."

"Have a wonderful day," Lady Graham said before being led off by her husband.