Part the Twentieth

The next morning, Lucy Hannah rushed into the bedroom to pounce on me. The maid, Gianna, rushed in after her, apologizing to me, but all I could do was laugh and hold my young niece in my lap. I couldn't help but be excited along with Lucy Hannah for Christmas was an exciting time.

After I got dressed and grabbed the presents I got for everyone, I went downstairs to the parlor to see what was going on. The children were huddled around the tree, while their parents were cozied up in their chairs watching the children sit there fidgeting. Lucy Hannah saw me and popped up off of the ground.

"Can we start now?" She asked, looking over at her parents. I looked over at Marjorie before shaking my head.

"You didn't have to make them wait for me," I stated but Marjorie shook her head.

"They can easily wait for their aunt," she said before gesturing for me to sit on the loveseat. Soon the children started going one by one, each opening one gift before watching the next person go. I had always seen it done with them all tearing it open at once, but this was much more memorable since all the attention was on the child opening the gift. There was also room for discussion and commentary which ended up comical due to Lucy Hannah's conversing.

After a few minutes, all the children were finished with their presents, leaving time for me to see the inventory of what the children got. First, Little John had a new journal and quill as well as a new tie. Anne got a new handkerchief and a little book about how to be a lady. Daniel got a new toy soldier set as well as a tie as well. Lucy Hannah got a new pair of shoes and also got a handkerchief.

Seeing their small stash, I felt bad about the nice presents I got them. I handed all the children their wrapped presents and Little John's eyes widened as he unwrapped his pocket watch. Anne unwrapped hers revealing a new reticule.  It was a similar color to the bonnet she was fond of in town- a velvet mustard fabric. Anne seemed in awe with the purse before looking up at me, sincerity in her eyes.

"Thank you, Aunt Delly," she said softly looking back at her very own reticule.

"You are welcome, dear," I stated, giving her the biggest smile I could, trying to hide the fact I felt wrong for indulging them.  Then I remembered how I had neglected them for years, so I felt a lot better after the thought.

Daniel opened his present which was a new chalkboard and chalk. He smiled and gave his thanks through a hug, before sitting back down to draw on it. Lastly, Lucy Hannah unwrapped her gift of a China doll. The doll had blonde curly hair much like its new owner and wore a burgundy dress which I thought was pretty. She thanked me profusely before playing with her doll.

"I also have gifts for you both," I said, handing them an envelope. My sister looked at her husband for a moment before looking back at me.

They opened the letter reading it before looking at me in surprise.

"I talked with Papa over letter about it and he is okay with one who wanted to give you it," I stated before they told the children to leave the room.

"Magdelline, are you serious?" Marjorie asked. I didn't know whether they were happy or angry with me.

"Papa and I are very serious," I stated, looking down. "I have neglected my job as an aunt so I wanted to invite the children over to Fernsbury."

"So Papa is alright with it?" She asked, letting out a deep breath.

"Yes. He is in dire need of company."

"And the money?" John said out of nowhere looking up from reading the letter again. "The original plan was to wait until his death to receive the money."

"You both know he was mad when he said that," I sighed. "He didn't want you to marry each other so he hoped that would deter you. But now he loves you like you are his own blood, John. I convinced him to change his mind. Though Marjorie won't get all of it. She will still receive an inheritance on his death, but he will be taking some of it to give more monthly."

"Oh, Delly," Marjorie cried out, standing up to hug me. "I was getting so worried about finances. You are an answer to our prayers."

"I couldn't let my sister worry, you know," I said with a smile.

"You are a dear," Marjorie said with a smile.

"So, this means I can take the children to Fernsbury for the New Year?"

"Yes, of course, you may," John nodded. "They would love that."