Part the Fourteenth

Geez, college has me going nonstop so sorry for the second late update in a row. Will try to get on schedule! - A. F. Kopp

It had been a few days since the ball, and I felt myself fall into a pit of darkness. I had no energy to do anything for I could only replay my wrongdoings over and over again in my mind. How could I have been so foolish? I not only lost my chance with the man I loved but also I lost my best friend. I felt so selfish and miserable. I didn't know what to do.

There was a knock at my bedroom door. I looked up from my book, setting it down on the side table next to the chair I was sitting at. I called for whoever it was to come in, standing up. Claudia entered, and behind her was my father. Claudia curtsied before shutting the door behind her as she left the room.

"Hello, Papa," I said, giving him a pursed smile.

"Delly," Papa said, walking over to me, hands in his jacket's pockets. "You haven't been yourself after the ball..."

"I'll be fine," I shook my head. "I haven't been feeling myself."

"Do you think a walk will do you well?" Papa asked, looking outside. "It looks like it has stopped raining for once—though it might rain later by the looks of it."

"You know, Papa?" I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I think that is a good idea. Fresh air should do me well."

My father was correct in his assessment—I needed the fresh air. It was rejuvenating. I took a deep breath as I took a turn around our property, wrapping my shawl around me tighter. Though it was a bit chilly, it was exactly what I needed to clear my head. Fresh air always did me well.I walked near the edge of our property, remembering only last month that Nicolas had walked with me—twice. And now that was all ruined. Only a few miles ahead of me was also my dear Audra who was probably still angry with me. Oh, how I missed her already. Though we've gone longer without speaking, it was nothing like the underlying meaning of our parted ways.

I neared the old tree that I pushed Nicolas out of as a child, taking in its ancient form. The curled roots went out like webs across the grass, with its branches reaching high for the sky above it. It was a beautiful tree. As I started to round the large trunk, I spotted him leaning against the tree deep in thought. My breath hitched as I paused. I hoped Nicolas didn't notice me so I could shrink away without him noticing me. But it was too late. I stood there frozen as his eyes met mine. He looked as startled to see me as I did him, though I didn't know why this scenario did not rush through my mind as a possibility. This was almost our place and it was between both of our properties.

"Miss Forsythe," he said with a start as I took a step back. Miss Forsythe, I thought bitterly as his words seem to pierce through my soul, ripping my heart into shreds. That's when I knew he must have been extremely upset with me.

"I shall leave you to your solitude, Mr. Burns," I said quickly, giving a small curtsy before turning away.

"Miss Forsythe, I must speak with you," Nicolas said, his voice was curt, cutting, and threatening. I stopped in my tracks unable to turn to face him. I was so ashamed and didn't want him to see. That means he would win, and I could not bear being shamed or called out for my wrongdoings. It hurt enough inside as it was, so I didn't want more pain to come from it with him bringing it up.

"Isn't that what you are doing now, Mr. Burns?" I said, taking a breath before gathering up the courage to face him.

"Magdelline," he said, voice deepening as his face seemed to contort in anger. "You know what I talk of."

"If you talk of the ball, Audra had no right to take the side of Mr. Wright over her friend," I stated plainly, unable to meet his gaze.

"She had every right, Magdelline," he stated, fuming before turning away to shake his head. "She is her own being and isn't your minion to copy whatever you do or agree with whatever you say. If that is what you call friendship I am starting to question whether it is good for my sister to even think of the possibility of being your friend after this."