2:

She hadn't expected to see or hear from him again. Draco and Juno barely acknowledged each other in the castle. If they did lock eyes neither showed signs of ever having spoken. Not that she was often surrounded by her classmates. The thought of the previous Friday felt almost like a fever dream, and she wondered if it had all been in her head. But, then she considered how strange of an imagination that would be, even for herself - she'd never even spared Draco a second thought before that. She was sure she'd only smoked weed, nothing more than the usual amount, and she grew it herself so she knew it wasn't laced with anything. Perplexed, she shrugged off the thought, concluding that the meeting had in fact occurred, but that it was just a mere and fleeting crossing of paths - stranger things have happened

For the second time in Juno's life Draco Malfoy surprised her, as he turned up the following Friday.

She'd been completing a potions essay Snape had set them, trying not to get distracted by the diricawl that nudged her leg, pining for affection. The bird quickly disappeared as it heard approaching footsteps, though she could still feel it nuzzling against her shoulder. 

"Don't worry, it'll just be Hagrid, no-one else comes this far out," she assured, reaching up and scratching the invisible creature's beak. 

"Not Hagrid," A voice that was becoming far too familiar responded. She looked up, almost startled to see the silver eyes that stared back at her. She'd been absolutely certain Draco wouldn't turn up again. 

"Oh hello, Draco," she smiled softly, "Dirk, this is Draco, come on, you don't have to hide, he won't hurt you. He's a wizard too - show him Draco," 

"What?" Draco asked, dumbfounded. She couldn't help but giggle at his confused face, and he couldn't fight the smirk that creeped up his face as he watched her. 

"Just- just make a flame, on the end of your wand - you'll see," 

"Right, okay," he drawled, pulling out his wand, "incendio,"

A small flame ignited at the tip of his wand. "See," Juno hummed, scratching Dirk's invisible head, "come on, you'll make me look strange, I have a reputation to keep," 

Draco couldn't stop the laugh that tumbled from his lips at her joke. Both of them stopped dead in their tracks, Draco's hand flying to his mouth as Juno's jaw dropped. "I just made you laugh!" She almost squealed. 

"No- nope. No you didn't," he protested.

"I did! I made the Draco Malfoy laugh. Malfoy heir, Slytherin prince, cold-hearted man of stone - I made you laugh!" She giggled heartily, her tone laced with joy and surprise. 

"Oh, shut up," He huffed, sliding down the tree trunk to sit beside her. He jumped as he felt something nudge his shoulder, and jumped even more as he turned around and realised he was beside a diricawl, a creature he'd only ever read about. 

"See," she shrugged, "I'm not crazy,"

As the creature departed they fell into silence. It was not at all uncomfortable, it felt safe, tranquil, like words would shatter the bubble that surrounded them. Their presence spoke words their mouths never could. Just to be beside someone, after an entire week of empty interactions, falling into a great void of loneliness, without expectation, without the need to pretend, it felt good

After a while he reached into the inner pocket of his robe pulled out an expensive bottle of Firewhiskey.

"Father's," he shrugged, taking a swig before passing it to her. "He has an entire cellar-full, I didn't think he'd miss a few bottles," 

She took a drink, embracing the burn of the alcohol, offering him a sweet smile as she passed it back. Once again, he took the time to study her features, his expression impassive, brows furrowed slightly as he drunk in every inch of her face. He wondered to himself, again, how he had never noticed such a beautiful girl in such close proximity.

"Will your friends not wonder where you are?" She asked, taking another swig from the bottle, tugging at the blades of grass underneath her. Her voice was euphonious, melodic and sweet, he thought it suited her just right. 

"What friends?" He huffed, prying the bottle from her hands and taking another drink. Her brows furrowed at this, scrutinising his face so hard he cracked under her gaze and looked away.

"You're surrounded by friends, Draco-"

"None of those people are my friends-" he spat with a poisonous chuckle, "they admire me, or fear me. They're attracted to my last name, but friends, they are not,"

"Oh," She shrugged, indifferent as ever, turning her body back towards the lake, "okay,"

"What about your friends?" He retorted, she giggled in response.

"My friends?" She laughed, "You know the answer to that, Draco-"

"You must have some friends- acquaintances, at least,"

"I mostly keep myself to myself," she hummed, "I sit beside people in the Great Hall, and in class, and sometimes chat with my dorm mates, but they think I'm strange,"

"I don't know where they get that idea-" He teased. She felt a warm buzz flow through her watching him relax, and have fun - she'd only ever seen him with a deep scowl etched on his face, barking insults at other students in the corridors - she'd never expected he would let her see him so gentle and kind so readily. Again, she considered the fact she may be dreaming. 

"Did Draco Malfoy just crack a joke?" She giggled. He rolled his eyes, his face relaxing to his usual stern sneer, unable, however, to omit the playful glint in his eye.

"Must be the alcohol," 

"It's nice seeing you like this," She breathed, he turned to her, an inquisitive expression taking over his features, "you always seem so worked up and angry in school, it's nice to see you have fun,"

His body stiffened at her words, glancing up to the sky, now dark, illuminated only by the stars and the moon. He should not be doing this, fooling around with the freak of the school, acting as though he enjoyed her company. That was ludicrous, and if his father ever heard about it he'd be sure never to speak to his son again. He felt sick even thinking of the violent consequences of his careless actions. He must return to his task, to forget blissful Friday afternoons, he couldn't afford distractions. He'd been reckless. 

"We should get inside, it's late," 

And, without another word, he stood to his feet and left, never once looking back.