10

Juno lived by the sun. 

Wherever she went went light followed. She was bright, and warm, and inviting. Everything about her radiated luminosity, a golden glow naturally surrounding her. Her aura spread to those around her, one could not help but be illuminated by her, she warmed anyone in her wake. Thus, Christmas at the Lovegood's was nothing shy of bewitching. The cylindrical house was full to the brim with mismatched decorations. Every year, as a family, the three of them would ensure no walls were left uncovered, every inch of the house decorated in glitter, tinsel, fairy lights and ornaments - though never any mistletoe, as it was too infested with nargles to even consider bringing into their home. 

The house was full of fairies which they had spent the run up to the holidays collecting, they buzzed around aimlessly, lighting up the room and multiplying the Christmas cheer. In each room they had a Christmas 'tree' - the living room had the largest, a huge pine, each branch adorned with at least one Christmas decoration, so tall that it touched the roof and the angel had to balance on the branches just below the top. In the kitchen they'd opted for a lemon tree, drawing different Christmas creatures on each of the citrus fruits, leaving little presents in the soil. Dotted throughout the house, through the landings and the hallways, were various magical plants - a wiggentree with red and green tinsel strewn across it, a mimbulus mimbletonia covered in snow charmed to never melt, a flitterbloom that was decorated with baubles but kept flicking them off, leaping toadstools hopped around the home - each always housed at least three sleeping fairies. 

The bedroom Luna and Juno shared was an explosion of glitter, pine, holly and tinsel, wrapping paper and Christmas cards were everywhere, the room entirely lit up by fairy lights. The mural of Luna's friends on her side of the ceiling had been altered so each person was wearing a Christmas hat and Jumper. Juno had a photo of the family on her bedside, from when her mother had still been alive, and she'd added Santa hats in removable ink. The girls and their father busied away the days with long walks, exploring near and far, looking for different creatures. They read books, sang, drank hot chocolate and baked puddings, they smoked lots of weed and drank a little alcohol, and they laughed so hard their stomachs hurt. Christmas day was as lovely as expected, they exchanged gifts and ate and just enjoyed their time together as a family, ignoring the impending darkness that loomed over the wizarding world. Luna and her father had surprised Juno with the most wonderful gift; 

On Christmas morning Luna shook Juno awake as the sun peeked over the horizon. The ground was covered in a dusting of snow, the sky a vibrant orange, the air crisp and cool. Robins perched on the frosty treetops, tweeting loudly. It was a beautiful day. 

"Come on," Luna huffed, tugging on her sister's arm, pulling her out of bed. Juno sat up, grinning at Luna and wishing her a Merry Christmas, following her as she bounded down the stairs. As she reached the living room, she was met with the sight of an excited Luna, hovering by her father's side, who was grinning widely, gripping a large cardboard box. She looked between the two quizzically, with a shy smile. 

"I know we usually all open them together after breakfast but this one can't wait, Pluto," Her Dad grinned, extending the box towards her. She giggled at the use of the family nickname - her father adopted it for her before she was even born, as her Uncle had gotten so drunk one night while her mother was pregnant, and insisted on knowing what they were to call his first niece. They told him over and over again she'd be Juno, but every time he misheard it as Pluto, and it had stuck ever since. 

Eagerly she took the box, prying open the lid. She gasped as she opened it, tears welling in her eyes as her eyes landed on a beautiful white kitten, with the most striking blue eyes.