24

AN: Sorry if this does not entirely line up with canon plot, I've tried to keep it as close as possible but it will stray to fit in with my own story. This is a huge chapter, I've spent ages researching and planning and writing, so please remember to vote, share and comment if you enjoy. Thanks, love always xxx 

As he did most days, Draco found himself in the room of requirement, desperately repeating incantation after incantation, in front of a rickety old cabinet he was sure was broken beyond repair. 

After what felt like his hundredth try, he stepped back frustratedly, running his fingers through his hair and huffing in annoyance. He studied the cabinet closely, playing with the pendant on the chain that hung around his neck, willing it to just work

Shaking off his annoyance, he turned to the birdcage beside him, which housed a pair of doves, reaching in and removing one from its perch. He ignored the protesting squeaks from the birds, placing it in the cabinet and closing the heavy, battered door. 

Breathing deeply, he relaxed his shoulders, extending his arm outward, feeling the wand that sat heavy in the palm of his hand, allowing himself to bask in the magic that ran through his veins, until it wrapped all around him, so heavy he could taste and smell it - he was no longer a wizard and his wand; in that moment, they became one. 

"Harmonia Nectere Passus," He murmured, channelling all that palpable magic towards the cabinet. As it left his body he could sense it. It had worked. He knew it. He could feel it. Shakily, he approached the cabinet, holding his breath as he reached out his slender fingers and opened the door. The bird was gone. All of it. Quickly, he repeated the incantation, before ripping the door open to see the bird was back, completely and wholly in tact. 

He had fixed it. 

All he could think was, fuck, fuck, fuck

He should have been elated, he should have been jumping for joy, he should have been summoning the Dark Lord and his followers, psyching himself up to kill Dumbledore. He should have been happy. But all that he could feel, all that consumed him, was an unbearable, inescapable feeling of absolute dread. He thought he might faint, or throw up. All he'd wanted up until that point was to make the cabinet work, but now it did he wanted nothing more than to go back five minutes and have it never work again. 

Now, he'd have to invite in those who had invaded his life, who had plagued it with nothing but dark magic and hardships, they would come and they would tear the school down brick by brick, a place he'd come to call home, a place of solace for the boy who was so troubled. Hogwarts had been safety and security for him over the last few years - and this was how he was to repay it. The Death Eaters would destroy it, and everything and everyone in it. Including Juno. 

Fuck. Juno. 

His mind raced. He couldn't let her get hurt. He hadn't had the chance to say goodbye. He'd wasted so much time avoiding her and now their time had run out and they couldn't even have one final, blissful Friday evening together. 

Against all sense of logic, and against the very wishes of the Dark Lord, instead of summoning the Death Eaters right away, Draco fled. He didn't know where he'd find her, he didn't know if she'd be there, but his legs took him down to the lake, down to their spot, just hoping, praying, she'd be there - pleading with the universe to have given her a sign. I need you Juno, come to the place that's ours, he chanted over and over in his head, just hoping somehow she could hear it. His lungs burned, his muscles screaming for him to slow down as he hurtled through the castle grounds - but that only spurred him on. He had no time. He had to find her. 

He felt as though he had struck gold as he emerged through the trees and was met by the sight of her laid out by the lake, hair sprawled through the grass, book in hand. She was there. She was there. She was there. Her trance was broken as she heard his heavy footsteps approaching, fast and hard. Lifting her eyes up from her book, she was shocked to see Draco racing towards her, face deathly white and panic-stricken, heaving for breath.