22

AN: reminder that Juno and Draco are aged up to 18 in this fic <3. I've had this chapter planned for sooo long, since I started writing this story, and I'm so excited it's finally up, it's so significant and aghhh just I'm so excited. 

CW: Sexual content. Mentions of scars, implications of abuse. It is from this point that mature themes develop in the story, and the plot darkens. Reader discretion is advised. 

The academic year was nearing a close, the days blurring into one as the summer approached. It was June now, and, despite the promise of a new season, of warmer weather and glorious sun, the wizarding world felt darker, colder and more dismal than ever.

Like the changing of the season, there had been a shift.

Draco became less himself every time Juno saw him, physically he was present, but his mind would wander, eyes glassing over as his thoughts distracted him and took him to somewhere else completely. He looked utterly exhausted, his cheeks were sunken into his skull, the hollows of his eyes a violent hue of purple, he'd always had a light complexion, but now, his skin was a dusty grey, as though he never really saw the sun. Juno supposed, however, this sort of change was custom amongst the students - they were all at war, after all.

Harry was the same. In every DA meeting he seemed to be even more distressed. He was withdrawn, and secretive, spending much of his spare time huddled with Ron and Hermione, quietly whispering between themselves. He was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and it was evidently starting to show.

Everyone was feeling it. The shift was like a potent aroma, lingering in the air until, eventually, they all became climatized to it. All the members of the DA were much more subdued, there wasn't much to be happy about. The teachers and students alike floated through the corridors like ghosts, acting the part, but never truly present. It was even taking its toll on Dumbledore. He'd always looked ancient but he'd never looked so old.

As the weeks drifted into June it became particularly warm. Scotland had been blessed with a rare heatwave, and so, students shed their robes, rolled up their sleeves, pushed their hair back, walking around with pink, sunburnt cheeks, casting cooling charm after cooling charm. They weren't used to such heat.

Despite the conflict, the week of sun was relatively pleasant for all at Hogwarts. It was the last good memory Juno and Draco would have for a while.

On Friday, Draco, who was always so proper and put together, trudged down to the lake looking dishevelled. He'd abandoned his robes, and unbuttoned the first few buttons of his shirt, allowing a small glance at his prominent collarbones. His hair looked unkempt, disturbed by the constant motion of him pushing it out of his forehead, kinking into a natural wave. He threw a lopsided smile at her as he approached, she blushed slightly, but returned it quickly. Juno was without tights, her shirt unbuttoned from the top and creased, her sleeves rolled up over her elbows, hair pulled out of her face into a thick ponytail at the back of her head, lolling back on the grass, catching the rays of sun against her skin. She'd charmed a fan to follow her around.

"It's too bloody hot," Draco huffed theatrically as he collapsed next to her. 

"Hello, to you too, Draco, my week's been great, how about yours?" Juno laughed sarcastically. He merely rolled his eyes, throwing his arm over his face to shield him from the sun. "Fancy a swim?" 

At first he looked at her eagerly, eyeing the still water of the lake. It looked refreshingly inviting. He was about to agree when suddenly the skin of his left forearm tingled and realisation hit him like a freight train. He physically deflated, sighing inwardly, face dropping before meeting her hopeful gaze.