9:

CW: alcohol, emetophobia warning

AN: hi guys, just a gentle reminder to vote if you've enjoyed the chapter, my engagement is super down at the moment, and interacting helps boost my story. thanks so much <3

Hogwarts always felt more magical at Christmas. Snow scattered along the horizon, covering the rolling fields, the tips of the trees and the castle turrets in a dusting of white. The corridors were draughtier, the fires more roaring, the mornings and afternoons were dark all the same, but it felt cosier somehow. Decorations adorned the walls, and spirits were higher despite the knowledge that Voldemort was building up his army. Christmas gave the students a reason to forget.

Draco hated it. The closer Christmas came the worse he felt, just knowing he'd soon have to board the Hogwarts express and spend two weeks in the house he'd come to hate, where he'd have to see the constant worry on his mother's face, and act the part of the Death Eater he was to become, hosting the inner circle of the Dark Lord. Two weeks away from the castle, away from the comfort and security of being away from home, but worst of all, two weeks without Juno to alleviate his distress.

Juno, on the other hand, loved Christmas. She was excited to return home and see her father, and spend some time with Luna - they hardly saw each other in the castle. She'd miss the creatures and she'd miss her lessons and mostly, she'd miss Draco, but still, she was looking forward to spending two weeks with her family. She hoped Draco would be okay, she knew how much he'd come to despise his home. She wished he could come and visit her, to swap gifts and drink some of her Father's homemade port, and eat mince pies and catch fairies to keep in jars to decorate the house with.

The final Friday before Christmas, Juno and Draco met down at the lake as they always did, but Draco had more in mind than just sitting in the snow and smoking.

"Come on," He greeted, holding his hand out to her, pulling her to her feet. She looked at him quizzically. "It's nearly Christmas, this is the only time I'll have to celebrate, we're doing something fun-"

"What have you got in mind?" She laughed, tightening her cloak around her. Snow fell down on them, getting caught in their hair and eyelashes.

"Hogsmeade," He stated, turning to march away from the forest.

"And how do you propose we do that? With all the safety measures in place-"

"Disillusionment charm," he shrugged, turning to face her as he walked, a triumphant grin taking over his features, "there's nothing you can say that will change my mind, we're going. Now, shall you cast the first charm, or me?" [AN: let's pretend it's this easy, kay?]

"I'll do it," she grinned, pulling out her wand and uttering "illusiont".

"Okay, you'll have to hold onto me so we don't lose each other," He said as he cast the charm on her. As she had before, she linked their pinkies and he lead them way from the castle grounds towards Hogsmeade.

As they got further and further away from the castle they descended into darkness, the path out of the school lit only by the dim light of the moon, which was mostly occluded by the thick clouds that hung low in the sky, covering their footfall in heavy layers of snow. They could just about make out the stars, despite the dense fog, the lack of light made them contrast more harshly against the dark blanket of sky. As they walked, Juno found herself making out her favourite constellations.

"Look," she breathed, breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen between them, "you can just about see Orion and Gemini, they're so much more prominent without all the unnatural light-"

"Can you see Draco?" He beamed, though she couldn't see him. She took a moment to scour the night sky, until her eyes landed on the familiar Etamin and she could make out the constellation.