What just happened?

*Harry's POV*

At first Harry thought Hogwarts was under attack.

And he thought it was Dementors.

The way the lights all flickered out, and the cold that swept over him.

Except there was no screaming.

This is what made Harry realize it wasn't Dementors.

It was the exchange student, the short one, the one who had already been sitting on the sorting stool for five minutes.

He had looked as if he was going to be sick when he went up there. But no longer then three minutes after the hat had been placed on his head shadows gathered around him.

Clinging to him.

When Will stood up, knocking his chair to the ground Harry acted on instinct, standing up as well and blocking him, Ron following suit.

"Let me go! I need to help him!" Will hissed between clenched teeth.

"No way!" Ron hissed back, Can't you feel it?"

"You can't go up there." Harry added, "He's probably evil, you can practically feel the dark magic. He's not safe."

That's when the screams started.

°°°

Harry didn't even have time to react before Will was shoving past him and Ron, both tumbling to the floor.

Hermione helped them too their feet, and they spun around trying to catch Will, but he had disappeared.

It wasn't just Nico screaming now, Harry could hear other students as well and at first he was confused.

Nothing was really happening, sure the temperature had dropped and the lights had turned out, but it was nothing to scream over.

Then he turned around and saw the ghosts.

Hundreds of them, more then Harry had ever seen before, were appearing all around them.

Heads bowed, as they formed a tight circle around the perimeter of the Great Hall.

Now, with the ghostly glow (forgive the pun) Harry could make out more of what was happening.

And so, apparently, could everyone else.

The screams and mutterings grew louder.

"I wonder what's happening," Hermione started whispering hastily, "There's no record of this ever happening before, at least not what I've read. . . And there are no spells like that in any book in Hogwarts's library, unless it's in the restricted section. And then it would have to be very powerful dark magic. But the teachers. . . I don't get it, shouldn't they be more concerned?"

Indeed, while some of the teachers, like Grubby Plank and the toad-like woman were shooting spells at the ever growing swarm of shadows now surrounding Nico the other teachers, like Professor McGonagall were just trying to calm the other students, and only occasionally shooting concerned glances over their shoulders at the shadow storm.

Dumbledore hadn't moved at all.

Then Nico screamed again and another wave of darkness seemed to roll off of him.

When it hit Harry he was thrown into the past.

Or, at least, what he assumed it to be the past.

Death

Pain

Darkness

Images flashed behind his eyes, so fast, Harry couldn't make any of them out, but he could feel the raw emotions.

Could feel the anguish.

The un-healed wounds.

And it terrified him

Then the images dissaperead, and Harry was left standing in a, now, re-lit Great Hall.

The shadows starting to fade slowly and the lanterns flickering back to life.

Light blinded Harry, who had to blink multiple times before his eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness before he could see what was happening again.

With the lights now on Harry could see the shadow whirlwind dissapearing fast, revealing two boys in the center of it all.

One had dark black hair and the other was blonde. Will and Nico, he realized.

They were holding onto each other tightly, hugging, he assumed.

Then, when the shadows had fully dissaperead Will stood up and picked up the Sorting Hat which had been knocked some feet away and walked it back over to its stool, laying it down.

He did this so calmly Harry would have thought that he had just imagined everything, but the horrified looks of his fellow students said otherwise.

The silence that followed after Will put down the Sorting Hat was torture. No one seemed to know what had or would happen. Until . . .

"GRYFFINDOR!" the Hat's voice boomed across the hall.

No one clapped, or made a sound.

Ron leaned over to Harry and whispered,
"No way! That kid is clearly evil! It should have been Slytherin! I wonder. . . " He paused, "if that kid did something to the hat, evil magic or something,"

Ron wasn't the only one whispering now, some people who weren't already standing had stood, craning their necks to get a better look.

Nico basically fell into Will's arms and might have said something to the blonde boy before his body went limp.

Will started to panic, checking Nico's pulse and pulling out a water bottle. Dripping the golden contents down the other boy's throat.

He looked up at Dumbledore and seemed to say something. Dumbledore nodded and said something back.

Oh!?! so both the exchange students were on speaking terms with the headmaster? That was more then Harry got, he stewed bitterly.

Without a backward glance Will picked up Nico and hurried out of the hall.

The silence after Will left was deafening, broken when Dumbledore stood up and clapped his hands together.

"Now, I believe your evening entertainment to be over. So, tuck in!"

Vote, comment, tell me what you think.
I hope you enjoyed 🤪😝🤪
Word count: 896
-Nameunknown