Chapter 19: Interview Gone Wrong

Thanks to paimonke for the idea!
Song: Waste it On Me by BTS/Steve Aoki
Art: @zyakusan

-

Xingqiu found himself checking his phone every second of the day.

Why was Chongyun not responding to him? Maybe he lost his phone or something? Or got a new number? He was worried about the boy.

But they could still message through social media...

It made Xingqiu nervous.

Why had Chongyun ghosted him? Was he not good enough? Was he moving to fast with him? He would have said something though if he didn't like it. Or maybe he felt like he couldn't.

Xingqiu gasped.

Maybe his parents had something to do with it. He had said clearly before about his parents seeing the picture. Did they know that Chongyun were friends? They had never really came up with a label.

He sighed. He missed Chongyun. He wanted to hold him close and kiss him forever.

-

A month had passed without any contact from the blue haired boy and Xingqiu didn't know how to feel.

He had convinced himself that it was his fault Chongyun had ghosted him. He felt as if he wasn't good enough.

It hurt him to think that maybe he was just like his ex.

Maybe he wasn't meant to be in love. He had been fooled twice already. He didn't think his heart could handle anymore torture.

(I'm crying what)

Yanfei had also noticed the strange change in Xingqiu's attitude.

He'd always come up with an excuse, telling her they were just taking a break.

"Xingqiu, you have an interview soon. I would like to get you ready." Yanfei popped her head in his room.

She lived a few floors down from him so she could check on him whenever.

"Okay." Xingqiu said. He remembered booking this interview. It was about his new song "I'm Fine".

"Are you okay? You've been kinda down lately." She asked, stepping into his home.

"Yeah. I'm fine. When's the interview again?" Xingqiu asked, trying to change the subject.

Yanfei gave him a look but dropped her question.

"It's at..." She glanced at the clock in the room "-11:00. You have about 45 minutes."

"Let's get you ready, sound good?"

"Sure." Xingqiu said and sat down on the couch.

Yanfei had brought his makeup kit with her, so she opened it and started applying the foundation.

After a little eyeshadow and contour, Xingqiu was ready.

It was about 10:50 by the time Yanfei finished.

"Let's go, they're probably already there."

She called a limousine to take them to the Golden House Plaza where the interviewers said to meet.

As the car pulled to a stop, fans had gathered around, cheering and screaming.

He got out of the car, forced a smile, and waved at them.

As he went in, he was greeted by the interviewers and all the camera and lighting people.

"It's about to start. Go wait backstage, the host is there already." Someone said, Xingqiu assumed it was the manager.

He nodded and did as he was told.

And suddenly the only sound that could be heard was the faint cheering of the audience.

"Welcome everyone, to Liyue's Hot Shot Celebrities!." The game host said in a clearly fake cheerful voice.

(Shut up I couldn't think of anything)

"Today I'm here with the one and only: Xingqiu Guhua!"

Xingqiu walked onto the stage waving at the audience who cheered louder.

"Hi everyone! Glad to be here!" He said after bowing and took a seat in the white leather chair beside the host.

"Today, we're going to be asking some questions some of your fans have been asking." The host explained and Xingqiu nodded.

On the screen behind them showed a tweet with a question on it.

"How old were you when you first started performing?" The host read out loud.

"Hm... I think I was 15 or 16 when I preformed on stage for the first time." Xingqiu answered.

"We're you nervous at all?"

"Oh of course! I still get a little antsy before preforming." He giggled.

The crowd cheered.

"Okay, next! Do you get embarrassed when there are technical problems whenever you're on stage?"

"Mhm! But I know you guys don't mind when it happens. It happens to the best of us." He smiled.

The host read a few more questions before he asked this one.

"Have you found a new boyfriend yet?"

Okay... A little personal.

"Um... I've been seeing someone, yes." He tried to be vague about it.

"Is the person you're seeing this boy from the picture?" The host pulled up the picture of them in the mall.

"I know I've said this before, but that wasn't me." Xingqiu lied. He couldn't let everyone know what Chongyun looked like. He'd get so anxious and stressed about it.

"But this looks exactly like you. And fans even said they saw you go out right before this picture was taken." The host said, leaning in slightly.

Xingqiu was cornered. For one, he didn't feel as safe as he originally he did, and two, why were people spying on him?

"Okay, I'm sorry but why was anyone spying on me first of all, and I've already told you, that's not me." Xingqiu was getting a little angry.

He had expected this. They would ask about the picture and "the boy".

He wasn't just going to give away his identity. That would be cruel.

"But we just want to want to know if he's treating you right this time. We all know your last lover wasn't... The best. Your fans just need to know if he's the one."

Xingqiu was getting a little angry. "I'm sorry, but I'm not answering. This is the last time I'm saying this, that was not me. And yes, the person I'm seeing is good." He hated the way his heart hurt every time he thought about Chongyun.

Why wasn't he responding to his messages? Was he moving to fast for him? All these thoughts swarmed in his head. He missed his Yunyun...

-

Sorry about the shorter chapter, I really couldn't think of anything to write.

And 5K reads already!? I love every single one of you!