1. Sprouts

One. Two. Three. Four. 

Yamaguchi smiled, walking as his eyes were cast down at the sidewalk. He was counting the little sprouts on the sidewalk. Usually, he walked with friends and they would compete with who saw the most sprouts. 

One. Two. Three. Four. 

He stopped and looked over. A little bakery. How cute. 

Yamaguchi checked the time before deciding his Valentine's dinner with his fiance was okay to delay a few minutes. He was going to be the one helping Tsukishima cook tonight and they wanted to share this. 

Yamaguchi had even put on his one pink sweater, one that Tsukishima had secretly awed at. 

Yamaguchi looked around before going to the cashier. "Hello! Do you guys have strawberry shortcake?" 

"We do, it's in the fridge in the back left." 

"Thank you so much." Yamaguchi went to get the cake. He got that and jelly straws from the front along with chocolates. They put the sweets in a nice pastel pink bag and sent him on his way. 

He started to head off, nearing his apartment complex. Just a few more blocks. 

One. Two. Three- green light for the cars. 

Yamaguchi stopped walking and leaned against a pole. His hand hovered over the button to call for the cars to stop. What was the point in interrupting them? 

Tsukishima didn't mind him being late. No big deal at all. 

Yamaguchi yawned and took a deep breath. It was chilly. 

He watched the cars pass, quiet. 

The light next to him turned red and another car kept going. 

"Oh damn, that's stupid.." 

Another car went forward and they hit each other, starting to spin. Yamaguchi tensed. 

Both cars were suddenly out of view and he couldn't think. 

He felt colder and colder. 

It kind of… Hurt? 

****

Tsukishima looked up from his laptop, sighing. It was half-past seven and he was starting to get a bit annoyed. Yamaguchi needed to be home. 

He'd tried calling twice only to check and see that his partner's phone was shut off. 

Tsukishima got up, looking out the windows. There was smoke billowing a few blocks away, probably a backyard thing. He went to the kitchen and was startled by the sound of his phone going off. 

"Hello?" Tsukishima picked up his laptop. 

"Is this Tsukishima Kei?" 

"This is, why?" 

"Your fiance Yamaguchi Tadashi has arrived at the JR Sendai Hospital. He is currently in surgery." 

Tsukishima paused. "If this is a prank it's really fucking stupid." 

"He was hit by a vehicle when on a walk." 

Tsukishima set down his laptop and grabbed his backpack. His eyes darted to the window. There. 

"Will you be coming in?" 

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes." He hung up and hurried to get on his coat and shoes. He ran down to his car and drove to the hospital, not even thinking of calling anyone. 

He and Ennoshita were both Yamaguchi's emergency contacts so people would find out eventually. 

Tsukishima had signed into the guest log for the hospital, worried sick that his partner would be in worse condition than just a broken leg or something.