5. Panic

Akaashi smiled at the boy in front of him. "Having Tsukishima here must be off for you." 

"Mm…" 

"What is it? Are you in pain?" 

Yamaguchi shook his head. He lifted his hand and tugged his hair. 

"Oh!" Akaashi reached in his bag. "I only have neon pink hairbands. But I think that'll be okay." He leaned over and gently tied Yamaguchi's hair up. 

Yamaguchi smiled, closing his eyes. He leaned his head back and he managed a quiet laugh. 

"Great." Akaashi rocked side to side in his chair. "I was a bit worried that I forgot to do that. I used to tie barbie hair with little hair ties and did hairstyles when I was younger. So I can tie people's hair now. Did you ever play with barbies?" 

Yamaguchi shook his head. 

"Hm." 

Bokuto walked in. "I was told by your nice nurse that I can give you some snacks." 

Yamaguchi smiled. He nodded. 

"Ah. Was Keiji being weird?" 

Akaashi frowned. "I'm not that weird." 

"You're special." Bokuto set three snacks on Yamaguchi's lap. "Pick one."

Yamaguchi tapped the one on the left. He looked to Bokuto, desperate. He couldn't open the bag yet.

His broken arm wasn't healed yet and was in a cast. Eight out of his twelve weeks in the cast were over. 

"Mm… Mm." Yamaguchi tried to grab and open the package. 

"Hang on. Hang on." Bokuto took the package and opened it. "Do you need help eating?" 

Yamaguchi shook his head. 

"Alright. Just ask if you need anything." 

Yamaguchi gave a thumbs up. He reached in the bag of Kotsubukko and munched on the light snack. He watched, looking at Bokuto and Akaashi. They talked so much. He and Tsukishima talked a bunch but he missed real conversations with him. 

"When you start getting better we'll take you out for dinner and help you out a bit. How does that sound?" 

Yamaguchi gave a thumbs up. He pointed to the bag and then his friends. 

"No thank you." Akaashi wiggled in his seat, trying to figure out what to talk to. 

"You alright Keiji?" 

"Mhmm! Just wiggly." 

Bokuto smiled. Yamaguchi glanced to the door and saw Lea coming in. "Ah!" 

Lea walked over. "Hello!" 

Yamaguchi reached up and smiled. 

"You wanna wait till Tsukishima gets here to try and get in your chair?" 

He nodded. 

"Alrighty." 

Yamaguchi grabbed his bed remote and got himself to sit up properly. He wiggled his toes. 

"Great job! No pain?" 

Yamaguchi pinched his fingers close. 

"Do you need anything?" 

"Mm. Mm." 

"You're doing great with the pain." 

Yamaguchi smiled. 

"Thank you for that nice smile. I'm gonna go now. Press the button if you need." 

Later on, Bokuto had to go with Akaashi home for dinner and Tsukishima came back. Tsukishima brought himself a frozen dinner that he'd heated up right before he left. He was able to keep it warm and set the dumplings in it aside, giving them to Yamaguchi when they had cooled off ever so slightly.