19. Crying

"Angel, calm down. It doesn't hurt me." Tsukishima mumbled. He relaxed into the hospital bed, ignoring the IV in his arm. It was feeding him antibiotics, which did sting a bit. 

Yamaguchi was holding his hand, brows furrowed. Tsukishima rubbed his fingers, tender. 

"It's okay."

Yamaguchi put his hand to his forehead. "T-Tsuki?"

"Hm?" 

"Sorry…" 

Tsukishima felt his tremble and sighed. "It's okay. You didn't know. You don't like hospitals either. This is stressful and you need to just stay calm for now. Or try to." 

Yamaguchi sat up slowly despite it hurting his back. His pain was incredibly bad today and now he had to wait for Tsukishima to get better because he hadn't been able to think right and notice signs of pneumonia. His mind had been foggy from forcing everything and it made him overwhelmed. 

"Tadashi, you're working yourself up. Lean back over and drink some water."

"B-but-" 

"I know-" Tsukishima coughed. "Please?" 

"Mhmm…" Yamaguchi leaned forward. He relaxed before falling asleep, holding Tsukishima's hand. 

Tsukishima fell asleep, his breathing still difficult now. The cannula in his nose didn't feel nice and didn't help him breathe very well. 

It was going to take a week at most to get better and it sucked so much. 

Iwaizumi eventually got him recommended for a mask. This only made Yamaguchi more upset, realizing this is what Tsukishima saw when he'd been asleep. It was awful. 

Tsukishima sent him home after two days, knowing it was way too stressful for him to handle right now. He called and texted and made sure he was doing okay with food, ordering groceries to the apartment. Yamaguchi said he was fine and made sure to be sweet. 

It was only when Kuroo went to check up on him Tsukishima realized how bad it was. Yamaguchi was in bed when he'd gotten there, sobbing. 

His back hurt so bad but he didn't want to take his medicine because it was an opioid and he was scared of getting addicted. Kuroo gave him the dose though, getting him to do his exercises to stop being so tense. Tsukishima watched from his phone, making sure Yamaguchi was doing okay. 

****

"Tadashi, look at me." 

Yamaguchi looked up. "Mm?" 

"How much longer?" 

Yamaguchi started to try and count on his fingers. "Four." 

"Why don't you look at the book? You like the book, right?" 

"Is heavy…" 

"Ah right…" Tsukishima took a deep breath and smiled. "That felt nice." 

Yamaguchi perked up. "Done?" 

"Almost." 

Yamaguchi smiled. He shifted and yawned. "Imma just… Mm." He rolled over slowly onto his back and hummed. "I'm sleepy…" 

"It's late. You need rest." 

"Mm… No!" Yamauchi closed his eyes. He was quiet for a moment. Soft snoring sounded and he held his stuffed rabbit close. 

"Weirdo…" Tsukishima looked around. Two more days. He had stopped throwing up and was less tired. His muscles were less achey. "Tadashi, Tadashi."