Scarlet Justice: Bonus #2

Kris' POV

The woman who stared back at me in the mirror was someone entirely different from myself. The dress, the shoes, the makeup, all of it signified a different person. But when I looked up, I was staring myself in the eyes.

How did I get here?

I was about to walk down the aisle in two hours. Clearly I was about to be a different person. 

All the girls had finished getting ready a few minutes ago and I had just barely shimmied into my dress before my wedding planner, Shira, rushed off to grab Dick for our first look. 

It felt crazy that we were still going through with this despite everything we had been through in the past four months. But Bruce and Diana had insisted we proceed.

"Life shouldn't be put on hold just because you're afraid."

I swallowed the bile in my mouth at the reminder of Bruce's ill-timed advice.

I wrung my fingers together as Shira guided my blindfolded fiancee into the room. Despite my nerves, I laughed under my breath as he stumbled into the center where Shira placed him. She gave me a wink and made her way to the exit.

"Hi," I whispered, approaching Dick slowly.

He exhaled a deep breath. "Can I take this off now?"

I smoothed the non-existent wrinkles in my dress and readjusted my hair for the millionth time. "Take off the blindfold."

Carefully, Dick removed the piece of fabric. It took him a second to blink away the disorientation but the moment we made eye contact, a smile broke onto his face.

I couldn't help but match his grin. The two of us collided in an embrace. We couldn't get close enough to each other. Dick buried his nose into my neck, forcing another laugh from my throat. He inhaled and groaned.

"How is it possible that I missed you so much in the last 12 hours?" He mumbled into my skin.

I ran my hands over his tux and observed the engagement ring that glimmered in the light.

"I missed you, too," I sighed and tried to wrap my arms around him tighter. "This is crazy."

Dick stood straight and cupped his hand around my cheek. He pulled me closer to him still, planting his lips on mine. I obliged.

He tasted like the coffee he probably had this morning, and barely like whiskey from the night before. He had spent the night with Jason, Tim, Kaldur, Lagon, and Vic at Bruce's place while I managed a long night crying with Artemis, Steph and the girls. A whole night without talking only confirmed that we could not spend another day without each other.

It made this kiss feel like gold.

I took his bottom lip in between my teeth and tugged a little. We pulled apart.

"I can't believe we're about to do this," He whispered, still staring at my lips. The two of us were still attached at the hip but I didn't dare move. This was where I wanted to be.

"The Grayson family is back in business," I joked. Dick gave me a small smile while rubbing. circles on my back. "They would be proud of you, Dick. Happy for you. For the both of us."

"I know," He nodded before taking a step back. "Let me get a good look at you."

I gave him my hand and Dick spun me in a circle, whistling. "Damn, I have a hot wife."

"Will have a hot wife," I corrected. "We just have to get through this ceremony first."

"Kris, we talked about this," Dick sighed. I turned from him and reached for my makeup bag. "There are two dozen patrol officers on detail downstairs, and the Team is armed and ready to go."