White Lies

Dick's Pov

"M'gann, this is our last shot, okay?" I was gripping her by the shoulders and tears were streaming down her face. It's been a traumatizing few days, but this needed to stop if we were to successfully save the human race. This needed to happen.

"I've lost everyone, I can't lose you, too," I sighed, bringing her into a hug this time. My heart was pounding in my chest. No matter how much responsibility I felt I needed to uphold, I still wasn't ready to let go of M'gann. Someone's who always been there for me.

"You know the plan, but I need you to understand something," I pulled away to face her again. "I love you and the Team. I'm going through with this for a reason, and because it is completely necessary."

She nodded, wiping the tears with the back of her hand. "She would've stayed with you through to the end, you know? She would've been proud."

Kristen. I closed my eyes and pursed my lips. "I know."

I glanced at the door behind us. It was shaking with the pounding of undead bodies on the other side. I hadn't really noticed the growing noise of groaning coming from a growing crowd of monsters.

Around the room, we had several large tubes of the serum still being synthesized. This was where M'gann and I would make our last stand. All we needed to do was fight through until the serum was finished, and M'gann would be able to distribute the serum nationwide and then hopefully internationally. But she wouldn't be able to carry me and the serum. So this was where my journey ended.

And for some reason, I was perfectly alright with that.

I had already lost Kristen and Tim and Cassie. The League was gone in a matter of a month during the first outbreak in Washington D.C. Then half the Team had to be put down after suffering major city attacks in their homes. The least I could do was fight for the fights they would've wanted to win.

I took out my escrima sticks and stood in front of the door. Placed in front of me were two automatic machine guns, loaded and ready to fire once the motion sensor was triggered by the doors opening. I was as ready as I ever would be. It would have to be at least an hour before M'gann could get the tubes out, and those doors were ready to bust wide open.

"This is it. Ready for the fight of your life?" I asked with a solemn smile on my face. M'gann tried her best to return it. She nodded once and faced the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I jolted up from the cot, sweat pouring down the sides of my face. Around me, the Team sat on their own cots. Some had their heads in their hands, some were already pacing and some had already left. It was a relieving feeling to see each of their faces again. I know we had done mental simulations before and we all had thought this one would be easier.

Well, to put it simply, it hadn't been.

I didn't even notice Artemis come up and sit next to me. She lay her head against my shoulder, not saying a word, just enjoying the company we had all believed we had lost. I knew she wanted to talk to me, and I knew what it was about, but I kept my mouth shut. It hurt like hell.

After a few minutes of silence, Artemis stood again to face me. She smirked a little to herself and lifted her hand to my face. She gently started to rub my cheeks and jaw. I thought she had been wiping the immense amount of sweat I had been drenched in, but I realized something else.

I had been crying.

"She was right there, Art. Right there, fighting with us," An image of her standing in the middle of her new kitchen passed right before my eyes. The day I had seen her, the day the lies had started.