S Says Hi

Dick's Pov

There was a giant S on the wall of the cargo room.

It was written on the wall with blood. The blood of the people that worked here during the day. People who worked with the League. People who had nothing to do with any of this. 

How could she?

"What are we going to do?"

It was just the five of us. The League hadn't allowed the others, especially the younger ones to see this. Even I wasn't able to swallow.

I've seen worse though right?

"I can't even think right now," I whispered. 

We didn't say her name. We didn't have to. It was her. She was the one who did this. The proof was too cold. It was her face and her crew that broke in and raided the building. It was her that explicitly drew the large crooked S that was in front of us.

"What was taken?" I asked.

Captain Atom cleared his throat, "The key, the one we recovered in San Fransico."

I faced him with wide eyes, fear quickly spreading through my chest. A flood of memories came rushing back to me. 

They were going to make their next move. And soon.

"Did Oracle get a chance to track the artifact?" I was starting to panic. The others weren't really sure why. 

Captain Atom nodded his head. "She did, but it doesn't help us, it's off-world now."

"Nightwing, what are you so scared of?" M'gann stepped forward and tried to coax an answer out of me.

"Oana, they're bringing her back, that's the only reason why they would need both the pieces and the key," I say quietly.

"And how do you think they're going to do that?" Artemis was almost growling at me. But all I could do was give her a blank expression.

"I don't know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kristen's Pov

I was standing among my team. Around me, they were monitoring various station around the War World. I stared ahead at the live stream of planet Earth. I finally had my chance to step foot on earth, and boy was it short lived. The artifact we stole while we were down there was sitting in a containment cell next to my captain's chair.

God, it still felt weird calling it that.

I actually wasn't sure why they had wanted me to raid STAR Labs. Mostly because it wasn't a raid. We simply just killed a lot of people, grabbed the key and walked out. It was almost too easy.

But I loved it. It was a rush I haven't felt in months. Just the act of making people run was exhilarating.

I shook my head and focused on the live stream in front of me. I had a few minutes before my debriefing on Apokolips. Now that was something I should be nervous for.

I've never reported to Darkseid himself. And I can only think of all the things that could go wrong during this meeting. Me specifically losing my job, among other things.

Immediately, Amanda was next to me giving me a look of concern before turning back to the holographic screen above her arm. "I just got the signal. You can go now."

Nodding I reached for my mask, placing it over my face and letting my hair fall into place. I stood, followed by the others scrambling to their feet. Amanda handed me the boom tube and I grabbed the key.