Nightmares

Kristen's Pov: Three months before Chapter 1

I jolted awake with only one thing on my mind: the screams of my nightmares.

Normally, it would be just Max and the other lady; sometimes it was either one, taunting me. This time is was different. Someone was trying to get my attention.

My hair was sticky and drenched from sweat and I had the worst headache ever. The sky outside my window was pitch black. But I couldn't hear any cars for the first 30 seconds of being awake which means that it was most likely morning and not night.

My muscles didn't appreciate it, but eventually, I made it out of bed and to my closet. Everything felt sluggish as I figured out how to put my shoes on. Almost absentmindedly, I grabbed the leather jacket from its hook and headed out the door. No keys, no phone, nothing. My mind felt foggy, and I was having a hard time thinking clearly, so I decided it would be a good idea to get some fresh air. 

I made it out of the lobby, inhaling, and exhaling. Somewhere in the back of my head, I was thinking of water and there was only one place I could go for that. The docks. The South Docks to be specific.

It had only taken a few minutes before the chilly air started to settle into my bones. I tried wrapping my arms around myself, but nothing seemed to work. It was the beginning of February, what the hell was I thinking?

I looked down at the converse on my feet. These would have to do for now. I straightened my back and started into a jog. The cold cut into my sweatpants but running made it easier to ignore the pain in my thighs.

My back felt sore and stiff, but I held my arms out anyway. The images from my dreams started to retreat into the furthest, darkest corners of my mind, locked away for the next night. I knew that he would be back to taunt me. It was inevitable.

I blinked, taking in the tinted river air, as the concrete dock came to an end. A fence lined the edge, except for an entrance for incoming ships. The place was empty other than the cargo boxes and the dirt and mold sticking to the concrete bellow me. It felt like the river was calling to me and I had to force my legs to stop before I went right over into the water.

"You made it," A rough voice called out over the rush of the bay. My hand flew to the knife in my jacket pocket before I could turn around to see the voice.

"I didn't know you wanted me to," I replied. My heart was pounding and some type of trained instinct was telling me to rush in and bring him to the Team. Or at least to Gordon.

"We both know that those dreams aren't for nothing," He said. I couldn't see the face behind the mask, but I could almost imagine him smirking.

"So I won't forget anything?" My hand started to relax but I couldn't tell why I wasn't feeling scared anymore. This was a villain. Someone I've chased down before. What was wrong with me?

"No. But only if you decide to agree to the deal this time," This time? A familiar voice in my head was begging me to remember. Begging me to make the 'good' choice. But of course, he would, that was the Dick I fell in love with.

"What was the deal?" Curiosity naturally got the best of me.

"You join us, and you won't ever have to experience the pain anymore," I paused. I had been ready to say no, but the word pain caught my ear.

I swear I could see Max standing behind him, and Mal next to Max. And my parents, they were staring at me from the street. All of them staring, but not saying a word. I gulped, "And what makes you think that I would believe your little promise?"