Unconditional Love

Dick's Pov

The League and the Team stared back at me, waiting for me to start. I was wringing my hands, a habit I had picked up in the past few months. Down on earth, it was probably around noon, but the stars surrounding the Tower seemed threatening as if pulling me into their depths.

Babs looked at me and nodded. I took a deep breath.

Kristen.

"Kristen has been missing for four months," Around me, a few heads looked down. "But I did get a chance to talk to her a few months back."

Everyone was looking at me now, my heart was beating out of my chest. "When I finally gathered enough courage, I headed over to her apartment, but her guardian answered the door. I know her, she knows me, so I couldn't figure out why she looked scared, or why she felt the need to block the doorway."

"I asked for Kris, but I was told she wasn't home. Which was weird, since I tracked her watch to the apartment," I looked at my hands, and then back up at the eager faces of my teammates. "She never takes off that watch. She may have destroyed the chip in it, the one we have, but she also knows me. She knows I could find her with that thing on."

"My best guess, she wanted me to find her," I paused to take a deep breath. "So I did."

"We met on the roof where we first met. I was in civvies, no weapons or backup. I was by myself. I remember looking at her for the first time in a month. I remember feeling like taking her and running away forever, just so I wouldn't lose her again," A few people in the crowd shuffled, but I didn't care if I was making them uncomfortable.

"I remember her flinching when I reached out," I had to close my eyes for a second, to replace the memory with something good. Something like her smile. "I don't what happened, but they did something to her because she believes we've turned against her. She's convinced we're out for her blood."

"I don't know what you want to do as a team, or if you, the League, are worried about her exposing us. But I'm going to put my cards on the table right now," I looked specifically at Bruce. "You can choose to take her in as a prisoner to keep the League and the Team safe, but I will do everything in my power to make sure none of you can even start looking for her."

"Or, you can help me, and figure out a way to bring her back. A way to bring back the real Scarlet," This time I was addressing the Team. I knew they wouldn't do anything rash to Kris, but all I could think about was how they reacted to Kaldur going undercover.

I loved this girl, and I couldn't even see if she was okay. "Because no matter your decision, I am not about to let her go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slipped from the bars, dropping to the ground in a tight crouch. Sweat drenched my hair, making the earbuds in my ears also start to slip. I kept jumping up and down, swinging my arms around me as I made my way over to the cabinet. Gloves found their way on my hands and instantly I was up in the air.

I let my muscles loosen and then tighten again as I prepared for the big swing up on the rings. Being in the air relaxed me, it kept me from losing my cool and breaking someone. It's easier to strain myself than to become someone else.

Besides, if I could force my mind to focus on something other than my current job, everything would be just fine. It feels like it was just days ago that I saw her, but I knew better than that.

Coming back from Apokolips probably drained Kris' spirit, and I was stupid enough to believe she was getting better during her recovery. We never made M'gann run tests, we never questioned anything. And we thought it was all going to be alright, simply because she told us it would be.