I Got Shot

Dick's POV

She was far from the three of us where we stood off the stage, but I could see her close her fists.

And it was like all hell broke loose.

The building began to quake. Whatever damage we had inflicted from our current battle was nothing compared to the chunks of ceiling falling on the guests strewn across the floor.

All squads, new objective. This place is going to disappear into the ground. We need to move all these people, now.

Artemis let out a string of orders and the Team soon forgot all about the creatures flying straight out into the street. Kristen was laughing like a full on maniac from the stage. She was hovering now above the floor and her eyes were glowing. The higher she rose the harder it was to ignore the roaring coming from the building crumbling around us.

The Team rushed to evacuate all the guests. M'gann was trying to levitate as many people as possible through the doors and down through the floor. Jaime was pulling a lot of weight and Bart was speeding all around the lobby.

The floor is clear, shouted M'gann.

What about Kristen? Bart tried to move back in but was too distracted and rushed right into another creature which had been trying to escape. 

The building is coming down, I ordered. I hated to say but I did. She'll make it. No one is allowed in there.

The Team watched in horror as the debris and the dust came crumbling down. And for a second, everything was silent. It took too many moments for the dust to clear. I could feel my heart beating up in my throat. I knew the woman who destroyed the building wasn't the Kristen I was hoping survived, but I couldn't help the hope that was slowly dwindling inside me.

I found myself crossing my fingers.

A hand rested on my shoulder and I saw Conner next to me. He nodded but I could only shake my head back.

"Look."

I followed the focus of Steph who was staring into the night sky. 

I released the breath I didn't realize I was holding at the sight of a flying black figure. 

But just as the silence had washed over us, it was gone. Screams and explosions filled the air. 

The creatures, right.

I turned to my teammates who stared with horrified expressions at the chaos around us. "We need a perimeter and fast. KF, Blue Beetle, Miss M, Beast Boy. Set up a two block fence, turn everything in to us or crush it."

"Robin, Astra, Super Boy, Guardian, you and I will focus on keeping the guests safe," I pulled up my wrist computer. "And making sure these creatures are destroyed."

"We're too thin, we need back up," Steph's voice was hoarse and she looked tired. Everyone did.

"I'm working on that."

"Let's get a move on then," Mal said. Everyone else moved into their new squads and dispersed into different jobs. Tim and Steph stayed behind with me.

"This is Nightwing to Hall, you picking this up Oracle?"

Babs' voice cracked through the wrist computer. "I'm right here."

I nodded to Tim and Steph and they both grappled off to assist the others. "We need League support on the ground here."

"I'm sending out dispatch right now," She responded, which only caused me to roll my eyes. I ducked as a creature flew low over head.