Heartstrings

Dick's POV

I could see the four of them sitting in the cement cell room. I had volunteered to do the talking or at least to accompany Tim, but the moment I had said the words, Steph laughed at me. That was the end of my argument and Steph took my place for the interrogation.

I hated that they called it an interrogation. It was Kris. I pursed my lips and nursed my shoulder where she had clipped me.

From the main lobby in the Tower, I watched anxiously as the group surrounded Kristen in the cell. I could only watch them on the holographic screen hovering above me. 

"What happened to you?" Steph spoke, distracting me from my injury. "Ow, what?"

Tim had elbowed her. "She's not crazy, she's being held captive. And she's a friend."

I focused my attention on Kris, she was starting to wake up from the tranq. Tim had barely managed to slap a collar on her when he ambushed our little convo back at the park in Metropolis. Tim crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. In the back corner, Zatanna watched carefully and I could see her mumbling to herself.

This had better work.

"Friends," Kris spat. A laugh bubbled up from her as if for some reason something was funny. She was holding herself up on her elbows, crouched in a half fetal position on the floor. "I will never be friends with you. You have sacrificed so many lives, killed so many people. Monsters. That's what I'm looking at. Aren't you guilty for the damage you've done to this world?"

She strained against the chains to lean as close to Tim as possible. I watched the sadness on his face as he came forward. Slowly, almost agonizingly, he kneeled to be level with her.

He was shaking his head. "You almost shot him, killed him, Kris. How do you think you could live with that?"

I stiffened and it looked like Tim's words had the same effect on Kris, too.

"Have you talked to Mal lately?" Now it was Kris' turn to be uncomfortable. A small prick of pain was blooming in my chest. "Or is he keeping her like some sort of twisted experiment?"

He was being one hell of a liar right now. Maybe Steph had been right. I should not be in there. I would've given the whole thing away.

"Mal would want me to be doing this. She would understand." Kris didn't dare meet his eyes. She only stared blankly ahead.

"He did something to you. Do you even remember? Falling in love with Dick? Late nights with Artemis, Kal and I? He's digging into you nightmares, K."

"Do you mean Darkseid, Tim? Because let me tell you, he only opened my eyes. This? This isn't a nightmare. Not mine, not yours. You know I'm telling the truth," She was almost whispering now.

"Did you know that your ally, Klarion ,was working with Darkseid to kill hundreds of thousands of people in countries all over the world?"

In the corner, Zatanna started to chant a little faster, but not loud enough for me to hear. Kris winced at Tim's words, massaging her temples with her fingers. "5,000 people dead in the U.S.. 12,000 in France, 21,000 in Canada, 32,000 in England. Should I go on?"

"What did you do to me?" She screamed.

"Nothing. It was all Zatanna. Blame the tranq," Tim whispered into her ear. She snapped her attention to Z and hissed. "The Justice League is attacking several cities across the country as we speak and you just gave me the okay."

I stared in horror at the scene in front of me. Tim was good, too good. Bruce had taught him very well.

"What are you talking about?" She grasped at her throat, making me wince at the voice starting to spill through her.