Chapter 39

It wasn't worth walking anymore. There were no clear directions to where I wanted to be at this very moment. There was no place for me in this territory. This was one of Boston's flaws. I embraced myself even tighter as I stared up at the night sky. It was a quiet, chilly evening with lots of Halloween decorations, and orange lights illuminating the area. In any other time, I would have simply stood and marveled at the beauty of the imaginations of people. My confidence was high because I knew I would be safe here. Many people did not know I existed.  The fact that my family wasn't searching for me was due to their unawareness that I still existed.  

They knew now. My search for peace was now fruitless. Where would I go from here? What does all of this mean for me now? Silently, I watched him get out of the car, shut the door, and walk towards me before stopping just a few feet away. I didn't want to turn around and run. The last thing I wanted to do was cower away from him. I wanted to face him because I deserved to know the truth. I intended to understand the truth. 

The man was sinfully beautiful in his tailored suit. Despite his enigmatic appearance, he was powerful and resolute, making it impossible to stand still in front of him without trembling. I felt his body heat all the way from where he was standing, and it gave me a little bit of comfort. The problem was, I didn't want him close to me. The only thing he did was damage. How could I be this captivated by his charm? I took everything that he gave me. And in return, he brought me to my knees and snatched my heart right out of my chest. 

My gaze flicked away from him as I closed my eyes. It was too much for me. My heart cracked as the condensation from both our mouths swirled together from a distance. After exhausting all my strength, I finally turned around to walk away.

"Catherine."

"Why are you here, Reece?" I asked, turning my head to look at him sideways. My eye caught a glimpse of his Bentley pulling up.

"Get in the car, Catherine." The hard edge in his voice pissed me off, and I whirled around to face him.

"I don't take orders from you anymore, Mr. Dean." It took everything in me to say those words out loud. Words like these weren't meant for someone like him. Those around him took orders from him. But not today. I wouldn't be one of them. We lingered in silence for a moment, listening to an unspoken message. His message. I heard the gravel under his feet crunching as his feet moved toward me. A dark cloud hung over us, and the wind moved with him. He tightened his jaw and moved with precision toward me, his eyes glistening dangerously. I stepped back unknowingly, but he was faster. He bridged the chasm, and I wish he didn't. It made me weak to be this close to him, and he very well knew that.  

"It's cold outside. You're going to catch a cold. Get in the car, Catherine. We will talk." He reached for my arm, and I pulled back.

"I am not going anywhere with you." I stood my ground with a tenacious and determined attitude, but I knew that the longer I stayed, the more annoyed he was getting from the way he was clenching his jaws. His irritation was endearing to me. Perhaps he would then feel a fraction of what I was feeling. I was sufficiently silenced by that one breath he let out. He reached his limits with me.

"Get. In. The. Car." He put each word into a scheme to prove a point, and I couldn't fight him anymore. Deep down in the pit of my stomach, I knew better than to get on his bad side. The Bentley pulled up alongside us, then slowed to a halt. The chauffeur got out of the vehicle and opened the door for us. Reece nudged his head in the direction of the door, silently requesting that I go in. I had no choice but to listen at this point. I climbed in, and Reece followed suit. I relaxed into the warmth the car provided, but it was nothing compared to the warmth he radiated. I would have scooted much closer to him in another circumstance. Now all I wanted to do was put distance between us. The thought hurt ten times worse than any other pain I've ever experienced.

"How did you find me, Reece?"

"It wasn't difficult to find you." He turned his head as he looked at me, and I closed my eyes as I turned away.

"Why?" I asked, refusing to look at him, instead watching the houses pass by outside my window in a blur. My question applied to many things. Why did he look for me? Why did he hurt me? Why was he really here? Unshed tears burned my eyes, but I refused to cry. I heard him sigh next to me.

"Cat--"

"Where are you taking me?" I asked, cutting him off and wiping my cheeks. I didn't realize tears were running down my cheeks. I knew he wasn't taking me back home because I watched the house pass by. The headquarters was on the other side, so he wasn't taking me back there either. My tongue was poised to tell him to stop the car, but I quickly restrained myself from saying it.

"Why are you resigning?" he asked, avoiding my question. Without even a glance at him, I was aware of his gaze darkening. My full intention was to resign in order to get under his skin, and I knew it was working. I was looking for his weaknesses. Did this one belong to them?

"Why not?" I asked, turning my head to finally look at him. Our gazes met. I felt a wave of apprehension as he gazed at me with his jaw tight. He never answered my question, and I was forced to sit in deep silence in his car, wondering where he was taking me. Silence wasn't uncomfortable, but it was painful. I wanted him to speak. I wanted him to explain to me why he did what he did. I wanted him to respect me enough to remove me from my plight. But he never spoke a word.

We finally pulled into a driveway about thirty minutes later. The car came to a complete halt again, and I looked out through the window in astonishment. Even though it was dark now, I couldn't help but visualize what lay ahead. Or who. I didn't recognize the mansion surrounded by greenery, but I knew the faces of the people that stood by a large entryway. I climbed out of the car, and slowly made my way towards them, ignoring Reece behind me.

"Oh, my dear."