Chapter 59

HE DIDN'T SAY A WORD. I watched the expression in his eyes falter into nothing. There was no sign of sadness, anger, or joy. There was simply nothing to be seen. He let go of me, and the ambulance took me away. At the hospital, the doctors assessed me, treated me, performed multiple tests, and comforted me, but I was so numbed that I couldn't focus or comprehend anything. The machines around me, the bed, the lights above me, and the people in and out of the room all blurred together.

He rejected me. He rejected us. Why didn't he say anything? He held me for a moment, and then—

"Ms. White, can you hear me?" a male doctor asked. I glanced at him, but I didn't really look. The nod for the reference was all I could manage. "You are okay, and the baby is okay."

"How far along am I?" I asked.

"You're six weeks pregnant, Ms. White. At a glance, your little one is taking shape and its' heart is beating. You'll need to take good care—" I zoned him out. 6 weeks. 6 weeks! My birth control failed last month. I slept with him for the third time. Which meant back in Japan...I was still very much pregnant. I shrank back as the shock swept through me. How could this be? How did I become so rare? My eyes welled with tears. Despite my desire to be happy, how was I supposed to cope with the danger lurking in the shadows behind me? I climbed out of bed.

"Have I been discharged?"

"Catherine. Are you okay?"

"Am I discharged?" I asked again, wiping my tears away.

"Yes, Catherine, you're discharged. You're free to go home." I declined to give him any leeway to continue. Using two elevators out, I exited the hospital. Wind whipped through my hair, making me shiver, but I didn't let it stop me from walking. There were no clear directions for me; I just kept walking whichever path I took. I was without my wallet and phone, so I had no way to navigate. The only thing I had was my broken heart, a broken soul, and a damaged mind. I didn't get very far, because right as I turned around, a black Audi pulled up alongside me. I stopped walking and closed my eyes for a painful second. Jason was supposed to step out of the car, but when I opened my eyes to look, it wasn't him. Trying to step backwards, I stumbled. Shivers ran down my spine. My skin broke out in goosebumps, and I embraced myself to protect myself against the cold.

"Get in the car, Catherine," he said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Why should I?" I asked, taking a step back, and he mimicked me by taking a step forward. As a weakened rabbit, I demonstrated my weakness, while he revealed just how in command he really was.

"You will catch a cold."

"Let me," I whispered.

"Catherine," he warned, his jaw tightening.

"What do you want, Reece?"

"Get in the car, please," he said softly.. He stretched his hand out for me to take, but I didn't grasp it right away. I just stared at it, wondering what it would hold for me once I took it. I swallowed, catching his gaze. A definite concern loomed in his eyes, which softened his features, allowing me to trust him a little better. I extended my hand, and he squeezed it. With no more than a glance, he pulled me towards the passenger's side, opened the door, and waited for me to climb in. My entire body trembled as I climbed in. Instead of looking at him, I focused my attention outside the window, but I felt his penetrating gaze on me, and I felt unnerved. Although I tried hard not to shed tears, I ultimately lost the fight. I swiped at my cheeks, but they kept falling. He sighed, but didn't say a word, and instead pressed the accelerator, speeding up. I remained quiet, but my ears were filled with the rhythmic beat of my heart.

After what seemed like an eternity, the car stopped. A sense of tension enveloped the vehicle. There was no initial attempt to speak. Finally, he broke the silence.

"How far along are you?" he asked, without so much as a glance at me. As I swallowed, a lump formed in my throat.

"Six weeks." A long pause. And then...

"Christ." He gripped the steering wheel with both hands hard until his knuckles paled.

"I'm sorry," I muttered. When I spoke with Greta, she was distraught because of the house, but she was also worried about me. As soon as her mother's house situation was resolved, she went to her mother's, but now I had nowhere to go. She asked me to come with her, but I couldn't. Not like this. Although the situation was temporary, I felt homeless all over again. The feeling didn't sit right with me. In this very moment, I wanted to be anywhere but here like this. I glanced at him. His gaze was closed, his jaw clenched, and his head leaned back. Suddenly he got out of the car without saying a word. It took him only a few steps to reach my side, open my door, and pull me out -- all without ever speaking a word. He tossed the keys to Jason who was already waiting, and we went inside his building. As grateful as I was for the lack of people nearby, I was also frightened. When we arrived at his penthouse, he pushed me inside and closed the door behind him. I turned around and, once again, tears rolled down my cheeks. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't say anything. All I could do was stare at him, wondering what would happen next. He took two steps towards me, and I took two steps back.

"Please, Reece." My back hit the wall behind me, and I gasped. He continued to walk towards me and stopped only when he was face-to-face with me. My body tensed as I held my breath in fear of him, afraid he might hurt me if I didn't make a move. But, I couldn't. I closed my eyes, waiting for him to strike. My knees buckled under the shocking blow he delivered--a strike that took me by surprise and threw me off balance. Had he not held me up, I would have fallen.

His lips became his most powerful weapon. One kiss sealed my destiny...our destiny. My body tingled with warmth and sensuality after such a passionate, power-packed kiss. Power ignited in the kiss, and electricity cracked within us. It broke me from my traumatized state. My body melted against him, and then he pulled back. After breaking the kiss, he scooped me up in his arms and hugged me tightly. This was yet another weapon he used to weaken me. I felt like I was at home when he hugged me. It gave me warmth, protection, security, and comfort. It gave me reason to believe he had accepted me, accepted us.

I loved him so much that I buried my face in his chest and hugged him back.

"My, sweet Catherine. You have no idea what this means for me."

The lady in Red (REWRITTEN!)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara