Chapter 73

It wasn't a nightmare that woke me up. Although granted, I did have a very uncomfortable one. It was more of a feeling of absence next to me that had me sitting up on the bed, wondering. I didn't have to wonder much longer because a few breaths later the door slowly creaks open and Reece walks in. The timing is impecceble. For a brief moment, none of us say anything to each other. I bet he didn't expect me to be up so early in the morning, but I definitely knew he was going to sneak out on me in the middle of the night. This is his territory. He was born in New York, so he knew people here.
But in the middle of the night...who was awake for him?

"You're awake," he says, softly, sitting on the edge of the bed in front of me.

"So are you," I whisper.

"You should be resting, Catherine," he points out, placing his hand over my bump. I place my hand over his, and sigh.

"So should you. But here you are...all dressed up." My eyes well up in tears. He smells of bourbon, and smoke. He's all dressed up, and looks good. He's vibrating in energy, and adrenaline so early in the morning.

"Why are you crying?" He asks, pulling me closer to him. The smell of bourbon and smoke is intoxicating, but I try not to breathe it in. However, I tend to notice things most people probably can't when it comes to him. Reece might be smart for others, but for me...let's just say I pay attention.

"Where were you, Reece?" I don't like to question him. I know everything he does, he does for a reason. Reece might be anything and everything but one thing he wasn't was sloppy. He made and left no mess behind him. But tonight...I saw something I probably shouldn't have. It didn't matter that the room was dark. Reece leans in closer to me, and runs his thumb over my lip.

"Taking care of business, Catherine." It's all he says. Nothing more, nothing less. I know for a fact he wasn't going to give me any sort of explanation. He kept things curt, but I wished he'd open up more to me. I'm assuming I know all of his dirty little secrets, but do I? One look at his shirt, and the explanation comes on its own. I visibly shudder. But instead of questioning him, I take matters in my own hands and lean into him. Gently, I pry at his buttons, unbutton them one by one, and finally pull at his shirt and peel it off of him. I discard it across the room and it falls gently by the end of the bed. Reece looks on, never peeling his eyes away from me.

"Was that your blood on your shirt?," I finally ask, after a moment of intense silence. I had a lot of questions to ask, but I knew I'd get no answers. I feel better in knowing a little less because Reece Dean is a dangerous man to come across. If I had to put two and two together, I'd confirm the blood on his shirt wasn't his. There was not a single scratch on his face or body. Whose blood was it? And why was there blood on him in the first place?

"No." That's all I got from him. I assumed that.

"Did you...hurt someone?" I chanced to ask, hoping he'd give me something. I hate when he doesn't tell me things. Even despite being the mother of his child, and future wife, he didn't trust me enough to tell me things. Why the darkness? Tears well in my eyes, and I make no mistake in letting them just dribble down my cheeks. He looks at me, keeping a steady stare down, but doesn't give me the answer I want.

"The less you know, the better." He wipes my tears away, and leans in to place a chaste kiss on my cheek.

"Why? Why do you keep me in the dark?" I whisper, pushing him away.

"I'm protecting you, Catherine."

"I know you are. But..." I get cut off when suddenly both of his hands are grabbing my face. He pulls me to him until our noses touch, and it's aggressive. It catches me off guard, and momentarily knocks my breath right out of me.