Chapter 71

"Mr. Dean—" the man starts, barging inside the room while I was still sitting on the bed.

"Shhh," I hush him, without turning my head to look at him. I watch Catherine lightly snoring on the bed with some of her hair draped on half of her face. I swipe some of it away from her face, and rub her soft cheek with the back of my knuckle. She stirs a little in her coma sleep, and nuzzles closer to my hand. My jaw clenches as Gary, one of my sideman, steps forward quietly behind me.

"If she wakes up, Gary, you're dead," I growl, running my finger on her parted lips. He shifts uncomfortably, but remains.

"We caught them. They're in the old factory down 5th ave. It's time," he says, quietly. My finger pauses against her lips for a brief moment.

"How long?" I ask, turning my head to regard him.

"Not long, sir. But they demand to know what's going on. They're clueless," Gary interjects. I chuckle, and step away from Catherine before turning around to face him.

"Let them be." I start to walk away, and once I get out of the room, many men are already waiting for me in the living room. Samantha was amongst the group, waiting for me to approach her. My jaw clenches as she draws closer to me with questionable concern in her eyes.

"What are you doing, brother?" She quietly asks, placing her palm on my cheek. I pull her hand away from me.

"Why are you up, Sam?"

"All of these men in the house could only mean one thing. Please tell me you're not about to do what I think you're going to do." Her chest rises and falls rapidly as anxiety overtakes her.

"Move out of my way, Sam." I tell her for the last time. She responds immediately by stepping aside, fear evident in her eyes.

"Let's go," I order my men. Sam follows behind me.

"Reece, you're going insane. This won't solve anything—" I'm on her in seconds, clutching at her jaw, and pushing her hard against the wall. The paintings above us rattle as I push her harder. She gasps in horror, her eyes widening as I lean into her.

"They're trying to take her away from me, Sam. And I can't let that happen under any circumstances."

"Mr. Dean. We need to go. Now." I leave her behind, and turn around to leave.

"Reece, you're going to traumatize her for the rest of her life if you do this."

"If I don't, it will traumatize me, Sam." And with that, I leave her behind.

"How many?" I ask, once we get the car. Someone is already opening the door for me.

"We found two. Two men. One young, one older."

"Reece! Wait!" Sam shouts, running after me. I glare at her for wasting my time.

"Get out of my way, Sam."

"What do I tell Catherine?" Her question catches me off guard, and I rub my face in frustration.

"You tell her nothing."