Chapter 2

"This is Insane, Greta," I whine, as I get dragged deeper and deeper into a room filled with music, insane amount of people, booze, and the stench of sweat and perfume lingering all around me.

There were people drinking outrageously, tumbling from left to right. The room was filled with some kind of house music. From the first to the third floor, the room grows larger and larger around me. The club was probably the biggest I've ever been in Boston. The clubs were not my cup of tea. If it wasn't for Greta, I wouldn't even be here. I couldn't find my groove here.

"Come on, girl! Cheer up!" Greta shouts, encouraging me to let go. The encouragement she gives comes in one ear and leaves the other every time she takes me out. I pull at my dress, suddenly very self-conscious about my body and lack of clothing, but the dress goes nowhere. It rests above my knees.

"Don't worry, I'll cheer up," I shout back, the music getting louder and louder as we go in deeper.

"I'm gonna go get a drink! Want one?" Greta asks, giving me a sly smile. I smirk and nod. I know what this means.

"Sure, can you get me some wine?"

Greta protests, throwing her hands in the air. "Jesus, Catherine! NO! I'm going to get you some vodka and maybe a tequila shot." I laugh at her excitement as she disappears. She returns moments later with our drinks, and I take it from her. I take a sip or two, make a face, but continue to indulge in it anyways. Anything for Greta's birthday.

She turns to face me, and opens her mouth for words to spill when suddenly a tall, tan, man in all black comes up behind her. This takes Greta completely off guard. She stares, hard, at him, her mouth slightly agape. I'm still taken back too. The man is handsome to look at, but certainly not my type to mingle with. Greta, however, is already smitten by him.

"Hi, I'm Jason. Care for a dance?" Go straight for the kill. Greta wastes no time as she pushes both her drinks into my hands. She turns to look at me, apologetically, and waits for a green light from me. I roll my eyes, and nod. It was expected for someone to approach Greta at least once throughout the entire night because the woman was naturally pleasing to look at. Jason pulls her away, and soon after...she's out of my sight. I don't want to panic, and ruin the night for her by going after her so I move away from the crowd in an attempt to distract myself. There's not much I can do here other than drink, mingle mindlessly with random people, or dance with my own self. All three I don't want to do tonight, but have no choice. The night was supposed to be for the both of us, but here I was...mingling with myself.

I turn my attention to the choices of poison in my hand, and take a sip from each three glasses. I gag the first two times, then continue to drink to ease my anxiety. It's not fun being alone in a crowded place like this because it's uncomfortably awkward, so I busy myself by walking around, occasionally bumping into people.

"Omg, did you hear? He's back! I heard he's visiting us tonight!" A voice bellows from behind me as I get closer to the bar. Even despite the loud music, I was able to gingerly pick up the conversation. It wouldn't hurt to be a little nosey. I inch my way towards the conversation, discreetly. Hey, this is a break for me. I could pretend to be in their group that way I don't look like an awkward person standing here all alone.

"That whole area is going to be sealed off for him and his VIP crew," The bartender suddenly said, pointing towards the upstairs deck. I glance up and notice everyone were now descending from the stairs to make room for these VIP crews upstairs. The bottom floor was now getting crowded more than ever. I found a stool to sit on by the bar, and took my place and remained there. People were fighting to get closer to the bar. God, this was one reason why I hated public places like these—especially the clubs. I hated crowded areas.