Chapter 21

What's my story? I reach for the wine instead of the water and take a big sip. No one's really asked me that before. Truth be told the story didn't really start until I met his father. Jay Dean practically raised me as his own since I was eighteen and got me to where I am today. But, I'm sure he already knows this. 

"There's nothing interesting about my story, Mr. Dean." I take another sip. Reece is quiet for a minute, probably wondering why I even said that. It's the truth. Gary returns again, this time with our food. 

"You ran away from home." A six baller. Immediately, my brain conjures up events of my past life, and images of some faces I don't want to remember but I quickly dissolve them away. I've trained myself for years to never think about my past. I blink, looking at the food in front of me. None of us touch our food. 

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I'd be dead." It's as simple as that. I take the first bite of the food.

"Who hurt you?" He gazes at fidgety fingers. 

"It doesn't really matter anymore," I mumble, reassuringly. Reece doesn't pry anymore. He's quiet for a minute, but I know something is bothering him. I can tell from the constant tick in his jaw, and the flexing of his fingers around the wine glass. I look back down at my food. 

"What's your favorite color?" I look up, completely taken back by his question. His eyes soften and he reaches for his food. I smile.

"Red." 

"Why red?" he reaches for his wine and I watch him take a sip. I shrug.

"It's mysterious. Dark. Kind of like black but with its own tempting shade." 

"Interesting." A ghost of a smile plays on his lips again.

"What's yours?" I press. 

"Black." Our colors seem to correspond to each other, holding a mysterious touch in both of them. I stifle my fingers over my lips to hide my smile. 

"If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?" He goes on. I giggle.

"Oh, that's tough. Bali, maybe? Anywhere in Indonesia, really. Or maybe Hawaii? Somewhere where there's a lot of blue, clear water around me." It's like I can feel it already--the crisp breeze, the cool water beneath my feet, the cool air from the sways of the palm trees...

I blink, coming back to reality. Reece is watching me, amused, his eyes twinkling. Color and heat find my cheeks.

"How many countries have you visited?" 

"I lost count." I reach for my food, hiding my surprise. He grins.

"Must be nice to be rich."

"You'll get there one day." 

"I'll dream about it tonight," I wink. Reece goes silent again, just simply watching me. His eyes, they have the tendency to make someone feel completely exposed. 

 We both break out of our trance and turn to Garo who shows up out of nowhere. Reece hands him his credit card without checking the bill. I'm sure he does this a lot. 

"How was the food?" He says, turning to me. 

"It was really good, thanks," I smile. Reece and I both stand and head towards the exit. Garo is on my quick because I guess he wants to say something before he possibly chances out on it. Reece stops by the car and turns around to face him.

"Mr. Dean?" I look back and forth between Reece and Garo.

"Everything okay, Garo?"

"Yeah. Yeah, it's just...I was wondering. Will you be back soon?" Garo snickers, nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.