Chapter 74

I was moving. But my feet weren't moving. My body wasn't physically moving, so where was the movement coming from? It felt like I was in a slow-motion moving roller coaster. When I finally open my eyes, I realize it isn't a roller coaster. I'm in a moving car. And Reece is driving with a very stern look on his face. The reason for his behavior didn't come clear until it all finally hit me. Sam. Her confession. My anxiety, and me passing out. How did I get in the car? When did we drive off? How long was I out?

"Reece..." I feel strange. My skin is tingling. My heart is racing. Reece grabs my hand, and squeezes.

"If you don't calm down, you are going to have a panic attack. Breathe," he says, squeezing me a little harder.

"Can you stop the car for a second, please?" I say, weakly. I needed fresh air. Reece pulls over for me, and I step out. He steps out with me.

"How did they find me, Reece?" I ask, facing him. The waft of cool air hits me, and I'm glad no one is around us. This conversation is very private.

"They always have ways to track you, Catherine. But this shouldn't be your concern anymore."

"It always is, Reece! Why don't you understand?"

"When I tell you to butt out of things, why don't you ever listen? Your stubborness is going to get you very hurt one day."

"It relates to me, Mr. Dean. I have every right to know what's going on, and what your motives are. Is this the reason we drove all way down here?"

"I protect you, Catherine. I've sworn to that and you know it."

"You knew what would happen if I found out? This is all a trigger for me! I don't want any fights, I just want to be away from them and live in peace!"

"You're running. Stop running and lean on someone who is there for you, Cat."

"You will get me killed one day, Reece!" I yell. I didn't know what got over me. Maybe it was all the pregnancy hormones. I've never really raised my voice at him like this before let alone accuse him of doing something that's completely the opposite. I didn't mean for my words to bite. Reece is visibly taken back, and for that very reason he has lost his words. Tears well down my eyes, and I open my mouth to apologize but close it immediately when he starts to walk towards me. My heart races again when he inches closer to me. He leans forward and our breaths mingle.

"No one is going to come looking for you anymore, Cat."

"How? How can you be so sure?" Reece chuckles at that.

"I made sure of that while I was gone last night." It takes few seconds for his words to register in my slowed-down brain again. His confession brings back the familiar smell of bourban and smoke again. It mixed well, and explained everything I had to know about last night. The blood on his shirt wasn't his. It was my family's.

"Why did you smell like smoke?" I ask, wiping my tears. Reece smiles.

"Because when I was done with everyone and everything, I set the whole goddamn place on fire."

"With everyone in it?" I stumble against my words.

"With everyone in it." My eyes widen at another confession, and my throat suddenly becomes very dry. Right now, I don't know what to feel. Glad? Sad? Angry? Ecstatic?

"Okay," I simple whisper, unable to form any more words.

"Now, can we relax?"

"I'm sorry, Reece. I shouldn't have said what I said."

"Your silly words don't bother me. Now, can we go?" He says, opening the passenger door for me. I lean against the door, and towards him.

"No more violence, Reece. Please," I beg. He flashes me a smile.