Chapter 17 - "Just stay away"

A few days had passed and I hadn’t had any kind of contact with Jack whatsoever. I had missed calls from him and countless texts but I couldn’t face him again. He’d ask why I ended it and I could certainly not tell him. I’d got myself into this big mess and I wanted to crawl into a dark hole and die. With Jack being ill meant I didn’t have to face him at school besides as he was in the Grade above me so we had no classes together which I was thankful of. Since I finished with him Taylor and her dogs didn’t bother me either. They had got what they wanted, and they had won. I was never really a weak person, and it was unusual for me to give up so cowardly, but I had no choice. It was a Wednesday and I was by my locker talking to Aleena and Kayla. They knew everything but had the knowledge that I wasn’t in the mood to talk about it, so instead they were talking about going shopping on the weekend to cheer me up which I’d agreed to.

“Forever 21 has a sale on this weekend.” Kayla stated.

“Oh good, I need some shorts.” Aleena added.

I just nodded after everything they said, doing the combination to my locker. Aleena and Kayla continued to talk until they fell silent.

“Oh uh… Regan..” Kayla tapped my shoulder and nodded to the figure that was stood only metres away from us. I casually looked up and froze solid when I saw Jack stood there, looking back at me speechless. 

“We’ll uh.. catch up with you okay babe?” Aleena said and headed off downstairs with Kayla.

We were both silent for several moments. Great. Get me out of here now.

“Regan… I..” Jack began before I cut him off.

“Just leave me alone Jack, please.” I turned away, shutting my locker.

He stepped closer to me. “What so you can’t tell me why you broke up with me? C’mon Regan we’re not five.” Jack tensed slightly. I kept quiet.

“Was it me? Was it you? Did you cheat or something, is that why you can’t say?” Jack started heating up again.

“No!” I was quick to respond. I could be many things but not a cheater. “Of course I didn’t, I would never!” I said disgusted that he thought I was capable of such a thing.

“Then what is it, I really do not understand!” He laughed coldly. “Nothing adds up here!” He clenched his fists before banging his right hand on the lockers next to me, which only made me flinch away scared.

“Regan..” He sighed, rubbing his face.

I shook my head. “Just stay away Jack.” I warned and he exhaled helplessly, leaning his head against the lockers. Why did I have to be me? Everyone else had it easy going but no, not Regan. She has to break up with her boyfriend and make him think he’s done something wrong when really it’s all her fault, she just a coward little girl who doesn’t want the be bullied.