Chapter 22 - Bright Lights And Loud Beeps

My eyes shot open. Oh no. It was bad, very bad. I stared straight ahead of me too afraid to view my surroundings. I hurt, I was hurting everywhere. I gradually began to look down, pushing the air bag out of my face and scanning my arms and legs. They were bleeding far too much, hidden under countless pieces of glass, I was panting uncontrollably. I didn't know how I was feeling, as I examined my teared skin and the blood spilling out of my wounds, I felt broken. The sight was too much. I felt vulnerable as I sat there, not being able to gather my thoughts and trying to avoid the unbearable pain that I felt everywhere. Both the windscreen and windows were smashed, I could see the car that hit us only metres away. It too, looked horrific. Then I remembered Jack and suddenly turned to him. He was lying there as still as a rock, with his head leaned back and his eyes shut and mouth open slightly. 

"Jack!" I gasped desperately rattling him. He wasn't moving. My breaths quickened, my heart beat out of my chest, my stomach churned. A single line of blood snaked down his temple and past his ear.

"Jack..." I began crying, clinging to his arm. I was in such pain. I couldn't look at myself. People had already started to rush to both the cars, trying to get us both out. Jack wasn't answering. "Wake up!" I cried harder. "Jack please don't leave me, wake up..." I sobbed loudly. He was still as stone. My door bolted open. 

It was the paramedics. The ambulance and police had already arrived. I couldn't get up, I couldn't move properly, I was just numb all over.

"Can you hear me?" A woman hovered over me with a stethoscope around her neck. She placed it in her ears and the other part to my chest, listening. "What's your name dear?"

I blinked tired, my eyes red and puffy.

"Re.. R-Regan.." The words channeled out of my mouth at last.

"Okay." The lady said, examining my face. "And what's the date for me?" She asked again.

I didn't want to speak to her, I wanted her to make Jack wake up.

"May the..." I paused, still distracted. "May the... I dunno.." I ploughed on. "It's a Thursday.." I finally groaned. I knew that was right at least.

"Do you know where you are?" She continued to ask.

I began to cry. "No.." I said becoming distressed. Why did I even get in the car with Jack? Look at what I'd done. I just wanted the last half hour to re-do itself.

More paramedics came but the majority were attending to Jack. His side had spun into a large oak tree, and the outcome wasn't pretty. After minutes they finally pulled me out. I was in great pain, shades of glass in my arms and legs. The next thing I knew was lying down in the back of the ambulance, listening to sickening blare of the sirens draining my thoughts. I craned my head up slightly to see a women with darkish hair, sat beside me in bright clothing.

"Mom?" I asked, my vision blurry.

"No, no, listen Regan. I'm a paramedic, you've been in a serious car accident and you're on your way to the hospital now." The woman said. Lovely, huh?

I began to focus on her, how did I mistake her for Mom? "Why-Why do I hurt so much?" I moulded my face into a sobbing expression.

"You're on your way to the hospital now Regan." She spoke clearly. "You've been extremely brave. Luckily your injuries aren't as serious as the male you were sat with."

"Jack...?" I cried weakly. Oh God. He was not okay. This was all my fault. "Jack! ..." I cried out again, this time louder.

The paramedic scooted closer to me. "Regan. He's on his way to hospital right now as well, I need you to stay calm."

Tears channeled down my face. "I'm sorry Jack..." I sobbed more. "I'm so sorry..."

A/N Apologies.