Chapter Four

Rebecca found herself in the tank once again. The water filling her lungs, she tried to break the glass but before she could punch it, she was electrocuted. Gasping awake, Rebecca rolled to the side, she fell off the bed she was on and landed with a violent thud on the ground. She coughed violently as she tried to get in some air into her lungs once more. Her throat hurts, and so did her neck. What happened? She thought. The last thing she remembered was standing in the room with those HYDRA agents pointing their guns at her and Bucky, and then... realizing what happened, Rebecca got to her feet. She was in a small room, there were no restraints, but it could be enough to be a prison. Did HYDRA manage to get her?

"Bucky?" She called out. Her voice was hoarse, and her throat and whole neck hurt when she did. When no one answered, she called again. After calling over and over with no response, Rebecca went to call him with his first name, the name she would call him before. "James!"

Just on cue, Bucky came back inside the room. He had a look of relief when he saw her. She didn't even realize how relieved she was to see him until she wrapped her arms around him.

"I thought they – I thought I..." she whispered.

Bucky ran his hand through her hair, brushing it in a motion that calmed her. He let out a shaky breath as he wrapped his arms around her. He was relieved to see her awake.

"I'm here," he told her. "I'm here."

"I thought I killed you," she told him.

"You didn't," Bucky had them sit down on their small bed, he had her lay back on the pillow in a sitting position. He inspected her neck to see the damage he has done. He wasn't happy to see the mark left by his metal hand around her throat.

"What happened?" Rebecca asked.

"Don't talk," he told her. "Let your throat heal."

Rebecca nodded.

Bucky reached for his bag and then took out what looked like a neck brace, it was small, made exactly for someone for Rebecca's age. "I managed to get one from the clinic, don't worry, no one noticed me."

She was confused when he said clinic, she wanted to ask him where they were but Bucky placed the brace around her neck, giving it the proper support. Once fastened, Rebecca felt some kind of relief, the pain she has been feeling lessened.

"The brace is only temporary, just until you've healed fully. It won't be long though, considering you have enhanced healing... I read your file before," he added the last part.

Since she couldn't talk, Rebecca used American sign language to ask Bucky the questions she has been wanted to ask: where are we?

"We're on a cruise ship headed to Portugal. I managed to slip us in, they won't notice us here," answered.

Rebecca signed again, what happened?

Bucky signed. "After HYDRA activated the chip in your brain, you attacked me. I was forced to use other measures to snap you out of it... I had to take you down, hence the neck. I'm sorry."

Rebecca tried to nod as a response but the brace stopped her, instead, she signed to him: You were right to do it.

Bucky shook his head. "There should have been another way... but I promise you, Becc, I won't do it again."

"But the thing is," she spoke, her voice still hoarse. "I think you would have to... and maybe even do more drastic measures."

"No," Bucky reached for her, he brushed away the hair that got on her face and lightly ran his fingers through her locks. "I made a promise, alright? I promise to keep you safe."