Chapter Thirty

"Becky, this is Joaquin Torres – Torres, this is Becky," Sam introduced teasingly, knowing that Rebecca hated being called using the nickname.

Rebecca made a face at Sam before facing the Air Force lieutenant and shook his hand. Joaquin Torres was a handsome young man, he wasn't like the other military men who were rigid and proud, he had a friendly and genuine face, and that joking attitude like James Woo, but dialed down to a more relaxed type. She didn't even realize that she was looking at the young man for a while until he spoke.

"Becky, right? I'm Torres – Sam's told me all about you," Torres began.

"Rebecca," she corrected. "And it's nice to meet you."

"Rebecca..."

"Just Rebecca. So, what's this job that Sam called me for?"

Sam snorted. "I thought you didn't care what job it is? We'll talk about it on the plane, come on."

Days after their talk in Washington DC, Sam contacted Rebecca on a job with the United States Air Force, he didn't say much, he just asked her if she was interested and gave her the location of the base and what time they should meet. Riding the military plane, Rebecca and Sam were debriefed by the commanding officer about the job; there were a couple of mercenaries who took over the United States Air Force military base, they had hostages inside the base, and Sam and Rebecca's mission was to save the hostages and as well as to eliminate the mercenaries.

"Criminal organizations like this are taking advantage of the chaos that's happening after the Blip," Torres explained.

"With the governments focusing more on the GRC, putting all of their forces and manpower there, it's a good time for these groups to strike bases," Rebecca commented.

"Radio check, you hear me, Becky?" Sam tested his comms.

"Loud and clear," Rebecca sighed. "Unfortunately – call me Becky one more time, and I swear I'll shoot you down.

Sam laughed. "Come on, it's cute – Becky – Bucky – kind of a father-daughter, thing, you know?"

Rebecca shook her head. "Does this have a mute button? In case he starts being annoying?"

"Where's your Wakandan tech?"

"Right here," Rebecca took off her jacket and from the gold necklace, the Vibranium nanites activated and built her suit. She took her sword from the crate and placed it on her back, along with her belt that had her guns, knives, and other things she needed.

"Woah, that's Vibranium, right?" Torres approached her. "And that's all just inside that thing?" He pointed at the necklace.

"Yeah."

"That's cool, never seen Wakandan tech up close – I guess the sword is also Vibranium, right?"

Sam walked past Torres and patted him on the shoulder. "Stop drooling on her, Torres." He and Rebecca stood side by side to synch in their times. "Couple of years in Wakanda and you come out strutting around like you're one of them, wearing their tech."

"Well, they did give me citizenship," Rebecca shrugged.

"Wait, what?"

Rebecca turned to show Sam the Vibranium implant behind her ear and then spoke in Wakandan. "King T'Challa's gift, for fighting by his side and for protecting his family."

"No shit," Sam said in awe. "So, you have dual citizenship, huh?"

Rebecca nodded. "That's right."