Chapter Fifty-One

When they were children, the Hand would have the children in the orphanage play a game of hide and seek. It wasn't a game though, the games they played were never really games, it was a part of training, where they would be taught to hide in the shadows, to listen to the heartbeats to find the others. Every morning, they would meditate and practice control every part of their body, even by slowing down their hearts. Rebecca never really learned that, she never mastered the art of meditation or how to slow down her heart, and because of that, she would always die in the game of hide and seek.

Late in the night, the orphanage was quiet. The children were out of their beds and were hiding somewhere in the shadows. This would teach them to listen to the heartbeats of others and find them in the dark. Since she never learned how to listen to the heartbeats or learned how to slow down her heart, she found a technique to constantly move around and find other hiding places. There were always three people who were the seekers, and Rebecca would try to slip past them. She would do so with ease due to her small stature, which helps her hide in the vents or other small spaces, but whenever it was Michael, he would always find her. And even though he has, he would do whatever he can to prolong the agony of being chased.

One time, Rebecca was being chased by Michael around the orphanage, no matter what small space she would hide in, Michael would always find her. But he never put a mark on her to get her out of the game. He would chase her around, make sure to enjoy the hunt. Slipping out of the building, Rebecca hid in the shadows of the trees in the courtyard, her small knife in hand. It was raining hard, she would use the noise here to hide from Michael's acute sense of hearing.

But even when she was enveloped in the shadows, hiding in the loud noise made by the rain, he still managed to find her. He jumped out of the window, landing on the ground with a roll then threw his knife in her direction, she didn't get a chance to get away with his swift movements and managed to stab her in the shoulder. The knife cut the artery and was stuck at the wall. She lost all movement on her left shoulder. And just as she blinked, Michael came before her and had his hand around her neck.

"I win," he whispered. "You may have bested me in training, but in this game, I always win."

She loved Michael, he was her brother, but after suddenly becoming the interest of the doctor and the other instructors, he became ruthless and would always torment her in these games. She was already losing a lot of blood before Michael could pull out the knife, and her head was fuzzy when he was about to stab her in the stomach but was stopped when he was hit by a tranquilizer dart at the neck and fell to the ground with a harsh thud. The next thing Rebecca knew after that, she was in the tank filled with ice-cold water and was getting electrocuted over and over.

Now, as they approached New York in thirty minutes in a quinjet that Cecil managed to get for them and was piloting, Rebecca and the small, temporary team of heroes prepared for the mission. Rebecca couldn't help but think about those nights playing hide and seek with Michael. He was a predator, and this whole idea of taking hostages was for him to get some sort of entertainment from her. His actions show that he didn't care about the Hand, this was purely personal. Revenge. He's killed HYDRA agents, members of the Hand, and now he's taking the last two people on his bloody list – the Winter Soldier, and his traitorous sister.

Sam stood there in his Captain America suit while talking to Agent Woo on the phone – he was the agent in charge of the case and was called to address the situation. Mark was given his old suit – since his new one was still in his apartment – and Eve wore her iconic pink onesie. After activating her vibranium suit, Rebecca went to one of the weapon compartments of the jet and took out a semi-automatic pistol, multiple magazines.