Chapter Fifty

Bucky was in shock when he saw the state of Rebecca's apartment. After arriving at JFK Airport, he and Sam quickly went to Rebecca's apartment to get what she asked to retrieve – the safe in her closet, and her vibranium necklace and sword. Upon arriving in the building, they were greeted by the NYPD's detective, Detective Sergeant Brett Mahoney, who claimed was the first person that Rebecca called after this happened. The building was mostly evacuated due to it being under investigation, and no one was allowed to enter the premises but they were given an exception.

"The cameras showed that Kuroki was already fighting someone in her apartment before they came to the hall," said Mahoney. "My guess is that they came through the balcony."

While Sam listened to Manohey's explanation, Bucky went straight to Rebecca's bedroom to retrieve the items. The bedroom was ruined, the bed was cut in half clean, the walls had holes – not bullet holes, these looked like they were made by fists or a body, then there was the blood on the floor. He went straight to Rebecca's closet to retrieve the safe, it was hidden perfectly well in the very back of the closet, in a hole she made for it by ruining the wall. Aside from the small safe, Bucky stuffed some clothes she might need. There was a problem, her vibranium suit and sword were missing.

"Where's Rebecca now?" Sam asked.

Mahoney shook his head. "No clue, she called me on my personal cell to tell about this then disappeared."

"Let's go," Bucky came back to the living room, he sighed at the sight of the space, especially of the notebooks that were sprawled on the ground. Maybe he should get those as well. He didn't bother to ask Mahoney and discreetly took the pad he gave her for her birthday and hid it under his jacket. He shouldn't have such sentimental attachment to a place, but knowing how Rebecca made this to her home, her first home after years of running and fighting, it was heartbreaking to see it destroyed, and he doubted that Rebecca would come back to this place after this.

"We'll contact you as soon as we found something, Cap," said Mahoney. "Sergeant Barnes."

Bucky merely nodded and left the apartment with Sam following behind them. Once they were out of the building, Bucky and Sam went to the pickup truck that Sam brought with him, he stored Recca's things in the back then sat in the front.

"You know where she is?" Sam asked.

"She's in Hell's Kitchen. The docks," Bucky replied.

"Let's go get her." Sam started his truck and drove towards the direction of the docks of Hell's Kitchen. Arriving in docks, Bucky led Sam through the maze of cargo containers that were in the docks. Eventually they finally found the warehouse that Rebecca told him about, instead of going through the front, Bucky led Sam to the back where the door was, but before he could open it, he paused.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Not here," Bucky walked around the warehouse once again, it was only then that he noticed how the cargo containers were very close to the wall of the building. He opened the container and walked inside.

"Buck, where are we going?"

Bucky didn't answer, instead, he moved the large crates to the side and showed the hole on the container wall and the concrete wall.

"Kid's been busy," Sam mused when he saw the opening.

"She's expecting someone," said Bucky as he walked in. Just as they passed a doorway, when they passed the door they were supposed to enter through, they saw a bomb stuck to it with a wire that would set it off when the door was opened. Bucky paused as he felt a presence beside him. He turned and saw a figure in the dark pointing a gun at his way. "Becc."