Chapter Twenty-Seven

It is the quiet when your mind is the loudest, those were the words that stuck in Rebecca's head – along with a couple of others – that Dr. Raynor said during their sessions two years ago. Though she didn't like to admit it before the doctor was right, the quiet times were the most torturous, that was why she turned to vigilante justice during the five years of the Snap. She didn't want to stop, she couldn't because if she did, then her mind would take over and bring her to the darkest places. Though it's been two years since Dr. Raynor and her finished their work, there were still times when Rebecca would much prefer to keep working than spend her time in silence. For thirty years of her life, she followed orders, she never really experienced the idea of freedom that people fought for, so it scared her when her doctor said, "You're free," because what was she going to do now?

There was Steve's way, where he told her to lead these new heroes, but whenever she would even think about that, it brought more torture than the silence. Her leading the Avengers? She thought. When Steve said it to her two months ago she was honored that the man trusted her with such responsibility, but now the reality of it sank in, the pressure was killing her. She knew of the responsibility it came along, the public image, one wrong step, and she was ruined – but how messier could her life get? A former HYDRA assassin with so much red in her ledger, even if it was said that she was brain-washed during those times, it would just raise more suspicion on her, and worse, on Bucky as well. There are so many possibilities that could drag her and Bucky's life to the dirt if she decided to lead the Avengers; then there was the concern, if she were to bring back the Avengers, would they listen to her? Would they let her lead? There are other more fitting heroes to lead the Avengers – Captain Marvel, Sam...

To stop herself from stressing about the Avengers, Rebecca drowned herself in work and with looking after Bucky. She continued making contract works with government forces and intelligences. Just five days ago, she just finished one with the FBI under Agent James Woo (including the paperwork she had to submit), and now with no job calls from the FBI, CIA, or even the NYPD, she had vacant time, which she needed to fill. She already had breakfast with Bucky and walked him to his therapy session, since those sessions would go on for hours, she had a long free time with her. She didn't really have any friends to call to hang out with, her only friend was in Wakanda, so she can't just call her to hang out for the day. Sam would occasionally call her to see how she and Bucky were (Bucky hasn't responded to any of his texts or calls), but she couldn't just call him to help her with this predicament, right?

A sudden knock on the door pulled Rebecca from her reverie, it was only then that she realized that she has been staring on the black screen of her television the entire time. There was another knock, getting up from the couch, Rebecca went to the door, she looked through the peep-hole and saw two people outside. It was her neighbors. Opening the door, she greeted Deborah and Oliver Grayson.

"Hi," she said.

"Hello, Rebecca," Deborah began. "I know that it's very sudden – especially when we haven't really talked much – but the thing is, I need your help. Mark's out there working, and I have an interview in two hours, and I was hoping if you could..." she glanced down at her youngest son. "Look after Oliver."

Rebecca was silent for a time. This wasn't really what she expected when she thought of filling up her schedule, especially when she has no experience with babysitting, sure she looked out for the kids in the community she lived in Wakanda, but it wasn't just her, they were surrounded by the adults, and there were those just around her physical age to help around, and it was always a group, so they would always play. She wanted to say "their other neighbor would be more fitting" but the look on Deborah's face was desperate.

"Sure," Rebecca said.

Deborah sighed in relief. "Thank you! I know that you leave before lunch, but I promise you that Mark would be here to pick him up before that!"