Chapter Forty-Six

The first time Rebecca met the Devil of Hell's Kitchen was two years ago. She was running in New York trying to find something to punch. She got tired of listening to Steve's group sessions from the window, and hearing him telling people to "move on", it was hypocritical, besides, if she moved on what would she do? She had nothing, she lost everything - her friends, her father. Everything was gone. She channeled her grief to something she thought would help people, which was dressing up in a bulletproof vest, wearing a mask, and then running around New York to take down bad guys. It was a win-win situation - she gets to keep the streets safe while she gets to let out some steam.

In one of her many runs in Hell's Kitchen, she finally met the infamous Devil of Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil. It was while she was interrogating a mafia member for information of their hideout, she had the man dangling in the air with a chain wrapped around his ankle. After getting the information, she was about to kill him but someone came and kicked her out of the way. It was the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. She didn't stay to speak with him, but that wasn't the first time they saw each other, they had a couple of other run-ins until Rebecca had enough of his merciful acts towards gangs, mafias, murderers, and rapists. She lured him to a warehouse by having people whisper around in New York about a heroine shipment in the docks, and as she predicted, he came, and he was very much confused when he realized the whole place was empty.

It wasn't an easy task trying to restrain him, he was good. He was a skilled fighter, but then Rebecca finally saw his weakness which was also his strength. She fired her Widow's Bite, it was silent so he didn't know where it was heading. It hit him on the neck and he dropped down on the ground. Rebecca tied him up to a post in the warehouse and waited for him to get up.

"You're blind," Rebecca said when he came to. "So, you depend mostly on your other senses. Your hearing mostly... don't worry, I didn't use a bullet on you, it was just a small device that emits high voltage of electricity, which explains why you fell to the ground completely unconscious."

"You don't say," the devil remarked. He tried to get move but the chains that tied him to the post refrained him from doing so."

"So, the Devil of Hell's Kitchen is a saint, how... ironic. But I guess you can't strike fear if you dress up in white spandex and a halo over your head."

"I'm not a saint."

"Well, you're not a devil, either... I'll give you one warning, stay out of my way. You don't meddle in my work, I won't with yours. And I won't judge your ways of doing it."

"I think you're already are... how old are you? You sound like you're eighteen."

"The fact that an eighteen-year-old beat your ass is something more alarming than what you're leading to."

The devil let out a whimper. "Wh-what happened to you... that you resort to doing this?"

Rebecca turned to him, glaring through the goggles of her mask. "Would you believe me if I told you that I was made to do this?"

The devil shook his head. "No, I don't. People are made good, they just lose their paths. God didn't make people like this." Rebecca let out a cynical chuckle. "You lost someone, didn't you? Your family?"

"They turned to dust... and before you even think that this is a 'revenge' story, it's not... for the devil, you're very merciful." Rebecca grabbed a stool and sat down before him. "Why?"

"Because people deserve a second chance... if we keep killing each other, then what else is left of this world? Half of the population is already gone, the last thing we need is to kill any more of us! You don't know these people you're killing, they deserve a second chance - a proper trial. Justice."