Chapter 37

Elliana

Having Demi over at my childhood house was an interesting experience. I had had a period of time where I was really into Evanescence. Turns out, she enjoyed their music as well. She definitely made an effort to play down our relationship around Gabby and my mother, which was likely a good thing. I didn't need another Adriana situation going on. When it was nighttime, I expected Demi to get into bed with me, but instead, she laid down on the little bed that my mom had set up for her and smiled up at me.

I reached down for her hand. "Missing me already?" She whispered. "I'm behaving for your mom though." I narrowed my eyes at her playfully. Finally, I let out a sigh.

I felt sleepy from today's events and my eyelids started to droop. I fell asleep almost immediately but woke up sometime in the middle of the night randomly. I didn't realize why I had woken up until I heard a loud noise downstairs. My head snapped around to look at Demi.

I nearly fainted when I saw that she was laying on the bed with her eyes open, staring glassily up at the ceiling. I waved my hand in front of her face but her eyes didn't focus. I started to panic when I heard the sound again. I quickly scrambled out of bed to see what was going on. I made my way downstairs, staying as quietly as I could.

The noise sounded again from my mother's room. The fact sent chills down my spine. I quickly rushed over towards the door.

Elliana.

I froze. I had not heard the voice in the room but inside my head. Surely I was imagining things. I took a step into my mother's room.

You don't want to do that.

I froze again as I noticed a dark shadow in the corner of my mother's room. I opened my mouth to scream for Demi but nothing came out.

Have you missed me, mon trésor?

My eyes snapped shut as my mind was flooded involuntarily with hundreds of memories that I had tried so desperately to bury in the deepest corner of my mind.

"No one will find you here. You're going to stay here until we get what we want."

"Stay away from me!" Cold laughter echoed in my head before I was slapped across the face.

"Be careful with her. She's a valuable piece." A feminine voice spoke but I couldn't see the person.

"Elli."

"Elli."

"Elliana!"

My eyes snapped open to realize Demi was in front of me. I was in my bed. Had this all been a dream? She looked extremely concerned. "Are you alright? You were screaming and thrashing around in your sleep." She held my hand as I took deep breaths to calm myself down.

"N-nightmare." I mumbled under my breath. Demi looked up at me in concern but didn't press the issue. I tried my best not to alarm her. I was still in my bed. It had to be a nightmare. I felt as though I was trying to convince myself above anyone else.

Demi gave me a look before sighing softly and nodding. She watched me in worry as she lay back down on the little bed. I turned to face the wall. Suddenly, there was a pain in my ribs as I turned. I yanked my shirt up, trying to be inconspicuous. Directly over my ribs lay a circular mark with lines inside. It looked like some sort of symbol.

My instinct was to tell Demi, but I feared having to explain my memories. I swore I would never speak of them again. Perhaps it was just a mark. It would probably be gone by the morning, I tried to convince myself. My eyes closed again. Despite my attempts to relax, I didn't fall asleep again until nearly dawn.