Chapter 35

Elliana

The two weeks of semester break came rather quickly. I had convinced Demi that I should be allowed to visit my mother back home. Of course we both agreed that I was a legal adult now and could technically make my own decision, but she was concerned for my safety with good reason, and I understood that.

The day that my winter break begun, Demi escorted me to the airport. She would let me fly alone, but meet me in NYC. I didn't mind her coming with me. I trusted that she would stay out of sight. In fact, having her around made me feel safer after everything that I had gone through.

The plane ride was quite uneventful, which I was very grateful for. As soon as I got off the plane, I could sense Demi's presence. Our bond had strengthened recently and I was able to tell if she was even in the same building as me. It usually felt like a tingly-buzz sensation.

I retrieved my luggage from the conveyor belt and hauled it onto the cart. "C-can I have a hand?" I whispered. The next thing I knew, she was taking the cart from me. I turned to smile at her. "Did you run?" I asked in curiosity. She shook her head and began pushing the cart. "So how did you..."

"I teleported here." She said casually. "Now where is that exit?" I pointed to it. She walked me over before letting go of the cart. "I'm going to go somewhere where I won't be seen, unless you want to introduce me to your mother?" I looked at her nervously. She got the hint and left me alone.

I had only made it a few steps out to the meeting area when my mother appeared and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her and took in her familiar scent. When we finally pulled back to get a good look at one another, I noticed that she looked slightly older. It had only been a term since I last saw her, but it felt like a long time. With everything that had happened, I hadn't even had the chance to talk to her as much as I wanted.

"Baby, you've grown!"

I immediately giggled. "Mom, I don't think I'm growing anymore."

"Nonsense, you're like half an inch taller." She waved me off before taking some of my bags for me. "Oh, I've missed you so much!" She hugged me again and I teared up a little.

"Me too, mom. I can't wait until I graduate. You should come visit me sometime."

She smiled at me as we began to walk to the car. "Enjoy your college years, don't be in a hurry to get them over with."

"I missed you a lot." I said softly, taking her hand.

"I thought that we could spend today just the two of us. Gabby's been blowing the phone up all morning asking if you arrived yet. I told her to come over tomorrow." I nodded as we got into the car.

"I missed Gabby too. It's not the same without her."

"I hear that you have met some new friends over at CSU though."

This piqued my interest. "You hear? You've been talking to Adri?" Adri didn't call mom very much and I knew that because when I lived back home, mom would constantly wait on her to call during the weekends and be disappointed when she didn't.

"She's been calling every other week since the incident at the bar." My mom admitted. "She was worried for you, but she didn't know how to help you." I bit my lip at this and silently loaded my bags into the trunk before getting in the passenger's side. I didn't say anything as my mom got into the other side. Finally, she spoke again. "She said you met someone as well?"

I froze at this, waiting for my mom to continue. She glanced at me only briefly before pulling out of the parking space. "It's about time, you are 18." She chuckled warmly when I didn't react.