Chapter 43

Elliana

Darkness.

Wet footsteps.

It's just your imagination Elli.

No it's not. I kept my eyes shut. I was in some sort of basement that echoed.

"Adri! Let's go on the swings!"

"No, I don't want to! I want to go exploring." A younger me huffed.

Adri looked nervous. "Off into the woods?"

"Oh come on, Adri, or are you scared?" I scoffed.

"I-I'm not scared, but daddy's on a call. We shouldn't."

I stamped my foot. "Daddy's always on the phone. He won't even notice. We'll just go and come back fast. Come on..." I whined.

She sighed and began to follow me as I smiled triumphantly. I didn't even know why I really wanted to go into the woods today. Yes, I liked to explore, but normally I didn't argue when Adri said no.

I walked about 20 steps in, then stopped and turned to look at my clearly anxious sister. "El, lets go back."

Before I could respond, there was a rustling sound in front of me and I turned back around. A woman who appeared to be in her 30s stood there. She tilted her head to the side and observed me. Then she jerked her head slightly, as if signaling to someone, before turning and walking away.

I felt a hand grab my arm. "Elli, let's go." My sister's voice had a tone of urgency.

Before I could form a response, something came narrowing at us from the side, knocking me off balance. My sister screamed loudly in fright as she began to run in the direction that our dad was at. I turned to the side to try and see what, or who, had knocked me over.

"Ça faisait longtemps...mon trésor."

It was my own screams echoing around the room as his face came into view. I thought that I had long forgotten his features, but everything clicked into place as I started to pull frantically at the ropes binding me to the chair.

"Don't bother. You aren't going anywhere." He turned and stared at his phone. "Right about now that mate of yours should be going crazy."

"What do you want with her?!" I demanded loudly. When he didn't respond, I added in a softer voice. "What do you want with me?"

To my surprise, he turned around and stared straight at me. I lowered my head, not wanting to make eye contact. All of the traumatic memories started to resurface. Now I knew it was due to some form of magic. The mental block, although lifting, was still there. I couldn't completely clear it.

"You, mon trésor, nothing. You just so happened to be mated to a certain vampire."

I scoffed, sounding much braver than I felt. "And I'm guessing that your coven of witches are still bitter about some ancient history."

He grinned at me all of a sudden and I felt my stomach churn. "Close. I am not a witch though."

I bit my lip to keep myself from asking. I reminded myself that this was all a game to him. He wouldn't tell me anything unless it suited him. I had survived this once. I would again.

But you don't even remember how you survived.

The pesky thought gnawed at me. I needed to find some sort of leverage. "How did you get into my house." I gritted my teeth. Lana had been watching the whole time since we weren't sure if the protection spells would work with the mark on me.