Chapter 20

Mature content ahead
———————————————————————————
Elliana

I fell asleep in Demi's arms, feeling safe. However when I woke up the next morning, I was alone. The only indication that she had spent the night was the faint lavender scent coming from my blankets. I tried not to feel upset and reasoned with myself that something had likely just come up and she hadn't wanted to wake me up.

Nonetheless, that didn't stop me from chewing on my thumb anxiously as I hurried to get myself ready for the first day of classes. I brushed my hair back and pulled a bow around it. When I turned to my dresser, I noticed that a skirt, button-up checkered blouse, and leggings had already been laid out on top.

I decided not to question it and simply dressed myself in the articles of clothing laid out for me. Adriana couldn't drive me to campus this morning as she had to be at work, so I left early to take the bus after having a quick breakfast.

I felt nervous on the bus because I was never really good around strangers in public places. This was also a new place so that added to my anxiety. I had seriously considered buying a car when I came to live with my father just because of this, but driving also made me anxious when I didn't know the roads.

In the past few weeks, my sister had been driving me around whenever I needed to be somewhere. Unfortunately, her driving scared me almost as much as the public bus. Whenever I was in Adriana's car, I could say that I honestly feared for my life, but miraculously, she hadn't gotten in any accidents yet.

For the first part of the ride, I was mainly lost in my own thoughts and wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings. Then I got an odd sensation that someone was watching me. I began to look around to try to locate the source when I noticed that at the far left was a woman in a dark, hooded jacket. She was looking in the other direction when I glanced at her, but my gut feeling informed me that she had been the one watching me. I shivered involuntarily and I noticed that the corner of her mouth twitched slightly at this, as if she was pleased at my discomfort.

"Hey." I jumped several inches in the air. I turned to see one of my classmates that I had met during the first orientation, whose name was probably Jason. "Isn't this your stop too?"

My head immediately snapped up to glance out the window. "Thank you." I said gratefully as I leapt up from my seat and hurried to the door after him. The woman stayed on the bus.

~~~~

As the day passed, I had forgotten about the strange interaction with the woman this morning. I met up with Kailey after my classes and we headed to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat and talk. "What do you do in your spare time?" She asked. I wasn't very good at making conversation so I just tried to answer  her questions. This was beginning to feel like an interview.

"Well...I read...I like to write music..." I trailed off.

Kailey chewed her sandwich thoughtfully. "Tell me one interesting fact about yourself?"

"I'm not very interesting." I laughed awkwardly.

You're a vampire's little pet.

Shut up. I hissed angrily at the voice in my head. I didn't realize I had said it out loud until I caught Kailey staring at me in confusion. I blushed and tried to brush it off. "Sorry, I was just talking to myself."

Kailey looked like she was about to speak, when something from afar caught her eye. "What is she doing..." she hissed. I tried to follow her gaze but all I saw was a group of students talking.