Chapter 51

Elliana

My daily routine returned to a new normal over the next few weeks, but it all felt like a blur to me. It felt almost odd to see it that way, but I did. Demi practically stayed with us now, and my dad wasn't opposed to me staying over with her some nights either. Then again, my dad didn't really oppose anything much.

Another thing that I noticed was that the mark on my ribs was now gone. Angie explained that it had been linked to the power of the coven and when Angie and Cairstine died, that ended the bloodline.

Adriana knew everything now. She and I gave each other the silent treatment for a few days. I knew that I probably should have talked to her, knowing how isolated she probably felt, having experienced it myself, but I just couldn't. My own emotions were a mess, and despite everything that she had done, I felt responsible for Angie's death.

I didn't say this to Demi, but she was nothing but completely supportive of me. She stayed by my side almost every single minute of every day, but today I had convinced her that it would be fine for her to go run an errand alone while I stayed home.

I was currently standing in front of my sister's bedroom door. I tried to gather the courage to go in, but I felt guilty that I had been ignoring her. After standing there for about two minutes, I finally stepped inside. I wasn't expecting to see Lana sitting on my sister's bed as well.

"Finally. We were placing bets on how long you were going to stand there." Lana smirked at me and I flushed in embarrassment.

My sister looked at me in hesitation. Lana looked between us and stood up. "I'll leave you two to have some space." She said softly.

Part of me almost wanted to tell her not to go, because this was awkward enough, but I knew that she was probably right and I needed to talk to my sister alone. Lana walked around me and closed the door behind her. I stood still, not moving closer or speaking.

Finally, Adri sighed. "Are you just going to stand there?"

In response to this, I made my way over to her bed and took a seat. I was probably about a foot away from her. I didn't look at her at first. "How have you been?"

My sister was silent for a moment. "Aside from the obvious? I knew you two were hiding something but never could I have imagined-"

"Me neither." I said quietly. "Demi found me. We're bonded together."

"Is that something you choose?" My sister frowned.

"No...but if I had the choice, I would choose her anyway. I...love Demi." I paused for a second as I realized how true my words were. "I know you don't realize it, and I couldn't tell you very much, but she's been with me the whole time. She met mom...she always did everything she could to keep me safe, especially with the coven after me."

"Mom? She went to NYC with you? I guess you've  really been living a double life..."

I shifted uncomfortably. "She wanted to keep me safe. Erik had tracked me down there."

My sister was quiet for a moment. "Lana told me that Angie..."

"-was Cairstine's daughter."

My sister shook her head almost in disbelief still. "I'd known Angie since I started school here. She was my best friend. I told that girl everything. To find out that she's likely just been my friend to get close to my little sister-"

She cut herself off, breathing angrily. I looked away for a moment. "I'm not sure she did."

"What other possibility is there?" She said in exasperation. "Lana told me that the coven was related to your kidnapping as a kid too. They tore our family apart!"