𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 39.

They were sitting in Zemo's private jet again with the only difference that Cyra was there now too.

"Donya Madani. Yes she's a refugee. Okay call me if you find anything. Thanks Toress." Sam ended the call and sat down on his seat with a heavy sigh.

"You okay?" Bucky asked him. He was on a longer seat where Cyra was sitting too but he was sitting further away from her. She was focused on him as he was cleaning the vibranium arm from blood of those hunters. It reminded her of the times where he tried to get it off as quickly as possible. She looked down at her arm. It was even bloodier.

"Maybe I made a mistake with the shield

"Maybe I made a mistake with the shield." He looked at Bucky.

"You did."

Bucky spoke and noticed Cyra's gaze as he threw the piece of fabric at her so she could clean her arm once he was done with his.

"Yeah maybe I shouldn't put it in the museum maybe I should have destroyed it." Sam said and Bucky gave him a death stare.

"Look that shield represents a lot of things to a lot of people including me. The world is upside down, we need a new Cap and it ain't gonna be Walker. So before you'll try to destroy it I'm gonna take it from him myself."

Bucky's words caught Cyra's attention. Steve really meant a lot to him.

Sam's phone suddenly buzzed.

"They found Madani. Dead. She died in Riga. A city near the Baltic sea." He notified.

Zemo walked up to them with plates of food as he handed the plates to all three of them, "I have a place we can go. And I'm also looking forward to coming face to face with Karli. Oeznik, we're changing the course." He called out and added, "It's gonna be a long flight so you better get comfortable."

...

"You didn't even touch the food." Sam approached Cyra. She was sitting in the middle of the plane, watching Bucky who was sleeping on the other side and Zemo was already sleeping as well.

Cyra didn't answer him she just kept watching him. Sam stayed quiet too for a few seconds before speaking up again, "Nagel told us he was the one who got you out the freeze, and that you promised to protect him."

"Nagel's smart but naive. Should have known better than to trust a Volkov." Cyra shrugged.

"And how did that happen?"

"What?" She looked at him and shivers run down his spine when he saw those silver eyes. Her voice was hard as always.

"Him getting you out."

Cyra looked at Bucky again. She was watching him in case he had a nightmare. But Sam didn't need to know that.

"His grandfather put me in the freeze and I made a deal with him that he'll make sure I'll get out. That's all."

"So you weren't put in the freeze by HYDRA?" Sam frowned in confusion.

"No. I spent months trying to find someone who would be capable of putting me there."

Sam nodded slowly, trying to absorb and understand, "You know, he told me you are the daughter of-"

"So?!" Cyra barked.

"Nothing, listen I'm just trying to understand this. He has always been his grumpy self, but since you're here he just seems to be out of it." Sam declared and Cyra clenched her haw. She stayed like that, just thinking before she decided to speak up.

"My father was a mad man. And he raised a mad daughter. From the age of eight he had me killing people for him. It was a preparation so I'd get comfortable with it. A year before that, my mother left me. I grew up thinking she left me because she didn't want me but in my last days before I was put in the freeze I found out my father had killed her. He didn't want her to fuck up his plan in raising me as a assasin."

Sam frowned. He couldn't even imagine how terrible and traumatic it must have been growing up like that.

"How did you become the first Winter Soldier?"

"They brought the sample and wanted to try it out on someone. I was so desperate to proof myself to him that I volunteered to take it. From then I was doing most of their missions alone. Assassinations. Just everything that included killing. I'd kill men, women, children. Until they brought in James." She was speaking calmly, even her face stayed looking as if she was bored. But there was no regret in her eyes. Sam shut his eyes tightly imaging the little innocent kids screaming and begging her for mercy. Imagining his nephews in that position.

"We were HYDRA'S Killer Duo. Doing everything together."

"Are you still influenced by the codes?" Sam asked her.

"I was never being controlled. They controlled James because they knew he wouldn't wanna do any of it. I did." She spoke with no shame.

Sam had to take a deep breath. He had no idea it was this crazy and twisted.

She could see the fear in his face. He was trying to act normal but she could read anyone like a book.

"Then why did you wanna get in the freeze." He became serious now.

"After they put James there I couldn't find him anywhere. I killed all of HYDRA'S bases in Siberia and many more. Father had some secrets I clearly didn't know about so I decided to do it my way. I owe it to him. I owe him to make everything right. But I got out of ice before your little runaway. And I realized if he had his great best friend Captain America, that's maybe how it should stay. So I let it go. Then I turned to dust and after we all came back I went to Madripoor. The only place where I fit in but then when I found out Rogers travelled in time and left him I couldn't just let it be like that for some reason." She mumbled the last words.

"You care about him." Sam nodded slowly, reffering to Bucky but Cyra just stayed quiet.

She cleared her throat before standing up and going to sit in some random seat. Maybe she had told him too much. She closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep without even knowing Bucky had been awake this whole time and heard every single word.