We're Going to California?

~2017~

Zoe and Angel stood before a line of girls who were seated at the table, a white rose held in each hand. The two witches were not only members of the Council, but they were also instructors at the academy.

"It might seem easy to alter the color of a flower, but the rose is unique. It resists change. Why?" Angel asked the girls, rhetorically.

"Empress Josephine Bonaparte, wife of Napoleon and proud witch, cultivated one of the largest rose gardens in Europe." Zoe informed, taking slow steps around the table, maintaining eye contact with her students, "It's said that Josephine enchanted her roses so that the colors she produced remained fixed as she wanted them."

The two briefly glanced at the doorway as Cordelia, current Supreme, strolled in and overlooked the lesson.

"Maybe so." Angel chimed in, looking back at the girls, "But one thing's certain." Angel and Zoe raised their roses in front of them, focusing on the petals. Slowly they began to change from white to purple and red, respectively. They both gave soft smiles, "Nothing is immutable when the will of a strong woman is applied. Now, show us how strong you are." Angel finished, placing her colored rose on the table top.

The two approached Cordelia's side and Zoe leaned in closely, "Watch her."

"You really think she's something special?" Cordelia asked, referring to Mallory who was one of the students in attendance.

"I'll let you be the judge."

All the girl's roses began to turn into vivid colors, washing away the blank slate of white, giving way for their artistry. The three witches kept their focus on the brunette witch as her petals turned a bright blue. Admittedly, the same hue as her crush's eyes. Though she had only seen Angel's eyes on a few occasions, the girl was constantly wearing a pair of sunglasses. She glanced up at the three from her seat, her gaze lingering on Angel for a moment longer than the others. The petals began falling from the bud of the plant, softly falling onto the table.

Cordelia turned her head to Zoe, "She has some ability, no question."

The two Council members gasped softly, "Look." Angel said, giving a light tap to Cordelia's arm.

They all watched as the blue petal levitated off the table and within seconds turned into butterflies. They all watched as they fluttered around the room.

"My god." Cordelia gasped, raising her hand out to catch a blue petal as they reverted back into their original form. As it fell into her palm, the color became white once again.

"She claims her grandmother told her that her bloodline stretches all the way back to Salem." Angel revealed. Zoe glanced at her colleague; when did Mallory tell her this?

Behind them, they heard a door open and close, the sound of clicking heels following. Myrtle appeared from around the corner and approached the three.

"What is it?" Cordelia asked, seeing the grim look on the woman's aging face.

"The Hawthorne School for Exceptional Young Men." She informed, "They called an emergency council. We're obliged to get on a plane immediately. Airline food for lunch when I made reservations at Galatoires. It's just too cruel." She sighed.

They all nervously glanced at one another. Never before had they been summoned by the warlocks, this must've been important.

"Go pack your bag, girls." Cordelia said, looking at Zoe and Angel. The two obliged, heading up the stairs. As they made it to the top, Angel looked at her older friend.