Burning and The Death of a Coven

As predicted, the chaos continued on. Cordelia had told all the Council members that she sent Coco out to California a day before them so she could enact her plan on retrieving Miriam Mead. Angel wasn't kidding when she expressed her distaste for California. The air was too dry for her, the weather too warm, and the plant life too scarce in Central California- the only part of the state she's ever visited. However, this particular trip out West was even more dreadful than the others.

Thanks to all that had been uncovered recently, they were there to play judge, jury, and executioner. Due to the murder of their colleague, Ariel and Baldwin, along with Miriam Mead were all being burned at the stake on Cordelia's orders. The witches were standing before three raised mounds, steel posts erected from the concrete. The two warlocks and the Satanist were all tied up tightly and the men were doused in kerosene, properly prepared for their fiery death.

Mallory stood close to Angel in the back, their hands were tightly interwoven for both of their comfort. Mallory had never witnessed anything like this before, and she was slightly scared. Angel, well for her, this would be her third time watching someone burn at the stake. She was still uncomfortable with it as much as she was years prior but she was in attendance due to her position as Council member.

"Ariel Augustus. Baldwin Pennypacker." Cordelia's voice was strong and confident, "For the murder of your fellow warlock, John Henry Moore, and conspiring to commit treason against this coven, I, Cordelia Goode, on behalf of this Council, sentence you to death by fire." She paused, "Our people have long stood by an agreement that no witch may kill a condemned warlock. Only your brother may light the flame. I do not intend to break with that tradition today."

John Henry casually emerged from behind them, wearing a long black trench coat and a hat. He looked over at his brothers, whose eyes were wide with surprise. He condescendingly waved at Ariel, wiggling his fingers. He stepped forward to one of the coven's henchmen reaching for a can of kerosene.

"May I?" He politely asked. The guard gave it to him and he slowly strolled up to Mead, his true murderer. He proceeded to pour the highly flammable liquid over the woman without a word until the can was empty. He walked off of the raised platform and placed the container on the ground, stopping beside Cordelia.

He rubbed his hands together and looked at the men, "Any last words?" He asked sarcastically, "Ah, right." He said, gesturing to his mouth and referring to the fact that neither of them were capable of speech due to Cordelia's use of Perpetuum Clausis.

"You think death is a punishment?" All eyes turned to Mead, "I do not fear the fire. It cleanses me, as it will cleanse this world. I've seen the end. I bear witness to the darkness." She said passionately.

She raised her head up to the heavens, "Father! Take me in your arms. Your kingdom is nigh!" She shouted.

With a nod of permission from Cordelia, John Henry waved his hand and the three torches were set alight. The guards tossed the fire to the feet of the accused and the flames quickly grew in size. They could hear the muffled screaming from the men over the roaring of the flames, while Mead held a crazed smile on her face as she gazed at everyone before her. She didn't scream, she didn't cry out in pain; no, she was clearly happy to be burning alive.

"You don't have to look if you don't want to." Zoe said to Coco who stood beside her.

"Is this something I'm going to have to do when I'm Supreme?" Mallory whispered in Angel's ear.

The blonde looked over and gave her a sad nod, "Only when absolutely necessary." She whispered back.

Mallory swallowed hard and turned her back to the scene. She knew her future Supremacy would mean making hard decisions but that didn't mean she had to be happy about it. Cordelia began walking off, the others following suit shortly after.