49. Pale Sea*

Elery dreamed, something she'd not done for some time. She dreamed of the crystalline waters of the ocean that wrapped the vast fields and rolling hills of lush grass around her home. As a child she couldn't wait to hurry beyond that liquid border. To see the world beyond, even if it was only to act as a dignitary, was a long-held dream.

Now, with that dream having become a nightmare, she wanted more than anything to simply go home. To taste the sweet berry pies of her favorite bakery and visit the tavern that served her favorite stew and soft bread. She longed to listen to the orchestras her father frequently gathered in the castle garden. So little time had past since leaving, yet it felt like seasons had frittered away. Speaking with the duke seemed like a distant memory, and meeting Isandel...

It felt as though a whole lifetime had passed since then.

She knelt down and ran her fingers through the soft grass as a warm breeze caressed her skin. It whistled through the nearby trees, spurring a flock of gillies into frantic song as they opened their wings and took off toward the pristine castle at her back. They flew over the hundreds of homes and businesses sprawling out around the castle. Some perched on rooftops while others kept going until they left her sight.

From her position atop the hill she could see her people filling the streets. They walked from home to shop and back again, marching along on simple paths, living simple lives. Some stopped to chat, laugh, and share baked goods if they had them. Others tried to wrangle their children as the little ones rushed to catch a glimpse of the knights training.

Elery stood, a few dew-soaked blades of grass sticking to her fingers, and watched with the pain of homesickness swelling in her chest. The wind kicked up again and ruffled her hair, throwing it in her face before she could raise her hands to pin it back. The breeze yanked at her dress, gusting toward the castle as though to push her down the soft hill toward her home.

It was an urging she obeyed. Her bare feet rustled through the grass as she ran toward the stone path leading into town. The rocks of the main road scraped her feet. Slowly she took in the familiar sights and sounds. They felt so real. The rough, circular stones under her feet, the breeze that continued to tousle her hair, even the tiny bugs buzzing by her ear. She took a moment to watch the people move about. Some carried children in slings on their chests. Others hauling goods. An infant began shrieking and the mother settled on a stone bench beside a florist stand to bare her breast and allow the babe to latch.

Elery approached her, smiling. "Well met."

The woman ignored her as the child continued to suckle.

"What a beautiful child," she said, crouching. "What name have you chosen?"

The woman began to hum. She rocked back and forth with the child.

The smile faded from Elery's lips and became a frown as she reached out to touch her shoulder. "Can you not hear me?"

Her hand passed through and the woman and infant both faded.

Elery reeled back, falling on her rear as she stared at the spot that had once been occupied. She stood and rushed to the nearest man, reaching out to touch his back only to watch him fade just like the others.

"N-no..." She shook her head. "Please, stop. Please don't leave me alone."

Those closest to her began to fade. The strangeness spread outward, erasing the familiar faces and extinguishing their voices. As she watched, face pinched and tears struggling to break free, the city grew hollow.

"It's only a dream," Misani's voice rang from behind her. "You know that."

She turned and the spirit stood there, her short, silver hair blowing in the breeze.